Ask Ansar

(All things hockey - Red Wing and NHL hockey)
heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Ask Ansar

Postby heyfolks » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:28 pm

On futures of Red Wings' Jeff Blashill, Henrik Zetterberg

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf ... ed_wi.html

Some good questions raised. The answers.... well I know how some love to rip on Ansar, but he isn't off base on most of these replies.
0 x
:auto-car: :auto-checkeredflag:

Machine
Zamboni Driver
Zamboni Driver

Re: Ask Ansar

Postby Machine » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:40 pm

I agree on Z, he stays unless he requests or a deal comes up that's too good to pass up, then they ask. The rest, God, the writing is dry on the wall, but the owner needs to step in and change the course that Holland and blash have set.
1 x

heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby heyfolks » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:57 pm

Machine wrote:I agree on Z, he stays unless he requests or a deal comes up that's too good to pass up, then they ask. The rest, God, the writing is dry on the wall, but the owner needs to step in and change the course that Holland and blash have set.

It remains to be seen if he’ll play next season, when his salary dips from $7 million to $3.5 million.

I believe Hank will play one more year, then hang them up. The idea that his pay is cut to $3.5M would make the juice not worth the squeeze is pretty ridiculous when, otherwise his pay will be $0.00. Now, a reduction to a million, for people of this wealth, may be another story. < I believe it is. Why stay, even if the team has rebounded? Do you beat up your body to play in the post season, basically for free? I don't see it.
0 x

heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby heyfolks » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:00 pm

On line-shuffling and salary-cap issues

Q: Why does Blashill constantly shuffle his lines? There is no continuity. The Wings are among the oldest and smallest teams (minus Anthony Mantha) in the NHL. Their salary cap status is rated as the worst. Doesn’t all of this fall on the GM? – C.J.

A: Holland is responsible for the roster and their cap status. Several players signed to big, long-term contracts -- including Abdelkader, Nyquist, Tatar, DeKeyser, Darren Helm and Jimmy Howard – haven’t performed as well as they did under their previous deals. Underperforming players with large cap hits and long term, some of whom have a no-trade clause – are difficult to move, limiting roster flexibility.

As for Blashill’s line-shuffling, ideally, it’s better to keep units intact so players can build chemistry. But many would argue adjustments need to be made when things aren’t going well. For the most part he’s kept pairs together – Henrik Zetterberg and Nyquist, Dylan Larkin and Tatar, Frans Nielsen and Helm.

Who ISN'T calling Holland out these days?!?!?! It's beyond obvious. The reigns should be taken from him NOW. Sure, let him finish out the season as a token, but no way in hell I let this guy make ANY decisions.... NONE. This game passed him by long ago.
0 x

jaster
The 'Not So Great One'
The 'Not So Great One'

Postby jaster » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:22 pm

RE: Hank.... Yeah, I'd be a bit surprised if next season isn't his last. We haven't heard a peep about this season possibly being his last, so at this point I expect him back next year. Beyond that, given his contract and the state of this organization.... what's the point? Another year of mentoring the kids, and then let the rebuild proceed.
1 x

heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby heyfolks » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:33 pm

jaster wrote:RE: Hank.... Yeah, I'd be a bit surprised if next season isn't his last. We haven't heard a peep about this season possibly being his last, so at this point I expect him back next year. Beyond that, given his contract and the state of this organization.... what's the point? Another year of mentoring the kids, and then let the rebuild proceed.

Exactly. If he goes beyond that I am going to ask him to set up a retirement fund ... for me. :D
0 x

TS Quint
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby TS Quint » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:30 pm

heyfolks wrote:

Q: Why does Blashill constantly shuffle his lines? There is no continuity. The Wings are among the oldest and smallest teams (minus Anthony Mantha) in the NHL. Their salary cap status is rated as the worst. Doesn’t all of this fall on the GM? – C.J.

A: Holland is responsible for the roster and their cap status. Several players signed to big, long-term contracts -- including Abdelkader, Nyquist, Tatar, DeKeyser, Darren Helm and Jimmy Howard – haven’t performed as well as they did under their previous deals. Underperforming players with large cap hits and long term, some of whom have a no-trade clause – are difficult to move, limiting roster flexibility.

As for Blashill’s line-shuffling, ideally, it’s better to keep units intact so players can build chemistry. But many would argue adjustments need to be made when things aren’t going well. For the most part he’s kept pairs together – Henrik Zetterberg and Nyquist, Dylan Larkin and Tatar, Frans Nielsen and Helm.

Who ISN'T calling Holland out these days?!?!?! It's beyond obvious. The reigns should be taken from him NOW. Sure, let him finish out the season as a token, but no way in hell I let this guy make ANY decisions.... NONE. This game passed him by long ago.

Is the media openly calling out Holland on his work a sign he might be leaving? I don't follow Kahn but I don't recall many sacking up to speak out against him until now.
0 x
"Two rules, man: Stay away from my fuckin' percocets and do you have any fucking percocets, man?"

heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby heyfolks » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:13 pm

TS Quint wrote:
heyfolks wrote:

Is the media openly calling out Holland on his work a sign he might be leaving? I don't follow Kahn but I don't recall many sacking up to speak out against him until now.

I believe it is. More and more open criticism of Holland and the general direction of the Wings. I see no way for him to remain after this season. If Howard is on the shelf, again, with his Gustavsson like groin, this team will tank. < one of the Club's many failures is developing NHL netminders. Howard and.... NOBODY else since Ozzie.
0 x

Return to “General Discussion”