Florida @ Detroit, Friday

(All things hockey - Red Wing and NHL hockey)
Wizard of Corsica
All Star Vote Getter
All Star Vote Getter

Re: Florida @ Detroit, Friday

Postby Wizard of Corsica » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:38 am

aTTicA wrote:Sounds word for word what some1 was saying about larkin last year.

He looked great between mantha and frk..1 guy whos work ethic and defense has been questioned, another guy who many on this forum have claimed is nothing but a big shot.

This tram needs a top 2 center more than they need a top 6 winger. In the end if aa cant handle that role and makes a more effective winger than so be it. But hes still young, and still improving, and it would be criminally stupid not to give him time there and see what hes got. Recently hes looked just as good at c as he has at w.

So? It's true about Larkin as well. He'd be lethal as a Wing but they have no other options at center.

As far as Frk everything that's been said about him is true as well. He's effective when his speedy linemates and he blows things up with his shot. He can't skate, but gets where he needs to be.

Now that AA finally looks like he's find a home why do you want to go changing things?

EDIT: Although I do agree the AA Mantha Frk Combo was noticeable for good reasons.
0 x

TS Quint
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby TS Quint » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:37 pm

He looked great between mantha and frk..1 guy whos work ethic and defense has been questioned, another guy who many on this forum have claimed is nothing but a big shot.

This tram needs a top 2 center more than they need a top 6 winger. In the end if aa cant handle that role and makes a more effective winger than so be it. But hes still young, and still improving, and it would be criminally stupid not to give him time there and see what hes got. Recently hes looked just as good at c as he has at w.

Sure, someone, somewhere said something about Larkin last year so AA is a center. Good argument.

Asking him to play center (properly) is taking him away from the things he has been doing well and putting him in a place where he does poorly. Let the guy be successful for half a season at least before thinking of fucking with him and putting him in a position to fail. Not “hey, he’s had 4 good games in a row let’s change what he’s doing”.

AA is doing good right now. He still has work to do on his game without the puck and anything in the defensive half of the ice.
0 x
"Two rules, man: Stay away from my fuckin' percocets and do you have any fucking percocets, man?"

aTTicA
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby aTTicA » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:04 pm

dome of that i agree with some i dont. IT was true of larkin in that alot of his passes werent connecting and in many instances guys also just werent finishing. That tic tac toe pass between aa mantha and frk is a great example. One of the best passing plays ive seen us make in a long time. Frk got robbed with a toe save.

But this year? Larkin looks great at center. Hes been a bit unlucky around the net as far as goals go, but hes also on pace for around 60-70 points, from the center position. Like AA, hes had his growing pains, both on wing and in the move to center and sometimes, with linemates (got to love when blash put him in between glenny and abby).

AA is following a similar path. I keep reading he cant pass, but hes distributing the puck very well. I keep reading that he cant play defense and wont be a good center (same as with larkin), but when centerring 2 guys that also cant play defense, he and they looked great.

And frk? In watching him? Hes more than a big shot. His passing has been very good. His forechecking and cycling has been very good. Hes not fast, but he works hard and wins alot of battles.

on AA specifically, during this past stretch hes been rocking 20+ mins a game. Frequently getting double shifted. Some at wing with larkin and tatar, and some at center with the "4th" line. Hes looked great in both places.

So that leaves the question. Hes struggled at both wing and center at times. Is this recent surge a matter of details and effort combined with linemates? One that will apply to him whether hes playing wing or center? And isnt it worth finding out?

This year is looking like a wash, like larkin last year, im less concerned with AAs numbers this year and or his production, and more concerned with where he fits in long term. Center would be better for us, recently hes looking like thats a role he can not only handle but thrive in even if there rare some setbacks and a learning curve. I realize AA is a few years older but aa has 130 nhl games to larkins 200.

Also bear in mind the number of guys on this team that either started at center, or moved back and forth throughout the years. Abby and franzen were centers and sometimes franzen moved back (and actually looked better). Helm and glenny have both played a ton of wing. Zetterberg spent most of his career bouncing back and forth from wing to C. In fact he was a much better goal scorer at wing. Filpulla put up some great numbers at wing as well.

Maybe somewhere down the road AA and larkin are our 1-2 punch at center, and late in games down by a goal they play on the same line. You dont know until you try, and right now it seems thats exactly what theyve been doing. They gave him some time at center, with some fairly talented linemates (frk, mantha, even booth isnt that bad) on a 4th line that got favorable matchups in favorable situations. HE struggled. They started moving him to wing and slotting other centers on that 4th line, he struggled. Now he seems to have turned a corner and is thriving in both places.

Lastly id add that his turnaround came immediately after blash called him out, and thats not the first time thats happened. IMO theyve been handling him as they should be, and pressing alot of the right buttons.

and again, for TS, who must not be actually watching the games, a bunch of what AA has done thats positive for the last several games has been WHILE hes playing center. HEs been double shifted like crazy and looks great at both positions.
0 x

TS Quint
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby TS Quint » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:44 pm

aTTicA wrote:dome of that i agree with some i dont. IT was true of larkin in that alot of his passes werent connecting and in many instances guys also just werent finishing. That tic tac toe pass between aa mantha and frk is a great example. One of the best passing plays ive seen us make in a long time. Frk got robbed with a toe save.

But this year? Larkin looks great at center. Hes been a bit unlucky around the net as far as goals go, but hes also on pace for around 60-70 points, from the center position. Like AA, hes had his growing pains, both on wing and in the move to center and sometimes, with linemates (got to love when blash put him in between glenny and abby).

AA is following a similar path. I keep reading he cant pass, but hes distributing the puck very well. I keep reading that he cant play defense and wont be a good center (same as with larkin), but when centerring 2 guys that also cant play defense, he and they looked great.

And frk? In watching him? Hes more than a big shot. His passing has been very good. His forechecking and cycling has been very good. Hes not fast, but he works hard and wins alot of battles.

on AA specifically, during this past stretch hes been rocking 20+ mins a game. Frequently getting double shifted. Some at wing with larkin and tatar, and some at center with the "4th" line. Hes looked great in both places.

So that leaves the question. Hes struggled at both wing and center at times. Is this recent surge a matter of details and effort combined with linemates? One that will apply to him whether hes playing wing or center? And isnt it worth finding out?

This year is looking like a wash, like larkin last year, im less concerned with AAs numbers this year and or his production, and more concerned with where he fits in long term. Center would be better for us, recently hes looking like thats a role he can not only handle but thrive in even if there rare some setbacks and a learning curve. I realize AA is a few years older but aa has 130 nhl games to larkins 200.

Also bear in mind the number of guys on this team that either started at center, or moved back and forth throughout the years. Abby and franzen were centers and sometimes franzen moved back (and actually looked better). Helm and glenny have both played a ton of wing. Zetterberg spent most of his career bouncing back and forth from wing to C. In fact he was a much better goal scorer at wing. Filpulla put up some great numbers at wing as well.

Maybe somewhere down the road AA and larkin are our 1-2 punch at center, and late in games down by a goal they play on the same line. You dont know until you try, and right now it seems thats exactly what theyve been doing. They gave him some time at center, with some fairly talented linemates (frk, mantha, even booth isnt that bad) on a 4th line that got favorable matchups in favorable situations. HE struggled. They started moving him to wing and slotting other centers on that 4th line, he struggled. Now he seems to have turned a corner and is thriving in both places.

Lastly id add that his turnaround came immediately after blash called him out, and thats not the first time thats happened. IMO theyve been handling him as they should be, and pressing alot of the right buttons.

and again, for TS, who must not be actually watching the games, a bunch of what AA has done thats positive for the last several games has been WHILE hes playing center. HEs been double shifted like crazy and looks great at both positions.

Like every Attica post, lots of words zero substance. Just like you had no clue what you were jibber jabbering about Larkin last year you have no clue what you are talking about with AA this year.
0 x
"Two rules, man: Stay away from my fuckin' percocets and do you have any fucking percocets, man?"

heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby heyfolks » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:51 pm

Wizard of Corsica wrote:

So? It's true about Larkin as well. He'd be lethal as a Wing but they have no other options at center.

As far as Frk everything that's been said about him is true as well. He's effective when his speedy linemates and he blows things up with his shot. He can't skate, but gets where he needs to be.

Now that AA finally looks like he's find a home why do you want to go changing things?

EDIT: Although I do agree the AA Mantha Frk Combo was noticeable for good reasons.

I am in noway, shape or form comparing him to Hull, but the NHL have similar players who require a speedy 2-way center and set-up man. Frk has an NHL quality shot and body. He isn't fast but he can play along the boards and muscle around to get open. He doesn't get pushed off the puck and will go to the dirty areas (though not his desire, he isn't beaten up).
0 x
:auto-car: :auto-checkeredflag:

aTTicA
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby aTTicA » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:42 pm

TS Quint wrote:
aTTicA wrote:dome of that i agree with some i dont. IT was true of larkin in that alot of his passes werent connecting and in many instances guys also just werent finishing. That tic tac toe pass between aa mantha and frk is a great example. One of the best passing plays ive seen us make in a long time. Frk got robbed with a toe save.

Like every Attica post, lots of words zero substance. Just like you had no clue what you were jibber jabbering about Larkin last year you have no clue what you are talking about with AA this year.

Like every Ts post. Insult or attack anyone who disagrees or has a different point of view.
0 x

TS Quint
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby TS Quint » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:19 pm

aTTicA wrote:
TS Quint wrote:

Like every Ts post. Insult or attack anyone who disagrees or has a different point of view.

Says the guy who says I don't watch the games in every post.

Tell me how many shifts has AA taken with Glendenning and Gator? This is a big concern of yours apparently.

You also have a hard time distinguishing between him playing center, playing center properly and what position allows him to do what he does well to the teams best advantage.
0 x

aTTicA
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby aTTicA » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:03 pm

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.
Ive actually stated on a number of occasions that aa has had pretty talented guys on the 4th line. Not guys like glenny or miller or helm. It was larkin that was saddled with glenny and abby.

And if you were actually watching the games you would understand just how silly your stance is. You keep saying they are doing it right and playing him at center would be stupid...while he is playing a fair amount of center and doing it well.
0 x

Return to “General Discussion”