Florida @ Detroit, Friday

(All things hockey - Red Wing and NHL hockey)
holytoledo
Trouble Maker

Re: Florida @ Detroit, Friday

Postby holytoledo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:26 pm

When AA plays well and plays a lot, he's a difference maker. When he doesn't play well he can be a detriment. Linemates certainly have a lot to do with that. Larkin gets him the puck with space. LFG basically is only out there to clear the zone.

I think AA shows more patience when he has better linemates as well. When he's playing with LFG and whoever he tries to do it all himself and often fails and puts the team in bad situations.

I am all for pairing Larkin and AA. Kinda think Frk should be the shooter trailing the play on that line.
0 x

aTTicA
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby aTTicA » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:48 pm

while there may be some truth to that, our 4th line hasnt been very 4th lineish most of the year. Glenny hasnt been on it often. Miller is gone. Booth>miller offensively. A few games ago AA spent half his time playing with larkin and tatar onthe wing and the other half his time centering the 4th line which was frk and mantha.

I mentioned earlier in the year that id consider moving Z to wing so that AA can take on a center role. A big part of the reason AA was on the 4th line was so he could start playing more center. Thats really the only place he can be a center with larkin and Z centering the top 2 lines, and nielsen centering the 3rd (nobody would want AA playing with helm and abby/glenny anyways). But even throughout that he was getting shifts with both larkin and Z. Likewise at a time it felt like blashills go to line after we gave up a goal was putting zetterberg with wilson. IT was just one big blender.

But imo HT is mostly right. When AA is on he looks like hes potentially a dynamic allstar. When hes off hes been a bucket of suck. Just coughing up pucks, not winning battles, not engaging defensively and just swatting at pucks as he goes by. Despite that hes still gotten power play time, hes still playing with talented players more often than not, and still getting at least 15 minutes a night. His icetime lately is a reflection of his play which has been stellar.

In alot of ways hes following larkin. Larkin came up and played great on Zs wing and when they started moving him to C he struggled some. HE had the right idea on passes but not enough deception and or patience to get the passes through. HE was always going full speed and not stopping on defensive plays or pulling up in the offensive zone. This year his passing has been fantastic. Im seeing alot of that from AA the last bunch of games.
0 x

TS Quint
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby TS Quint » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:22 pm

What part of AA’s game makes him look like an All Star?
0 x
"Two rules, man: Stay away from my fuckin' percocets and do you have any fucking percocets, man?"

Kronstantinov
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Postby Kronstantinov » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:29 pm

TS Quint wrote:What part of AA’s game makes him look like an All Star?

His dominance.
He has been the best player on the ice for 4 consecutive games now. It is not a coincidence that this is the first time in his career that he has been afforded All Star ice-time for consecutive games.
0 x

TS Quint
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby TS Quint » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:43 pm

Kronstantinov wrote:
TS Quint wrote:What part of AA’s game makes him look like an All Star?

His dominance.
He has been the best player on the ice for 4 consecutive games now. It is not a coincidence that this is the first time in his career that he has been afforded All Star ice-time for consecutive games.

What parts of his game are dominating?
0 x
"Two rules, man: Stay away from my fuckin' percocets and do you have any fucking percocets, man?"

aTTicA
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby aTTicA » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:11 pm

are you watching the games? otherwise i dont even know how you can ask that. His speed is elite as is his lateral movement and his acceleration. His shot is very good. His passing has been very good, hes been very good carrying the puck and frequently beating guys 1v1. In the last several games he did a great job centering mantha and frk and has probably been in on about 20 great scoring chances whether at wing or center.

Hes been all over the ice making things happen almost every time hes on the ice. Whats not to like?

MY hope for him is that for 1, he continues engaging the way he has been recently. For 2, that like larkin, over time, he gets a bit more patient with the puck and a bit better in selection in terms of risk/reward. But hes playing some great hockey right now.
1 x

George Costanza
Dan Cleary Fan Club
Dan Cleary Fan Club

Postby George Costanza » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:31 pm

aTTicA wrote:are you watching the games? otherwise i dont even know how you can ask that. His speed is elite as is his lateral movement and his acceleration. His shot is very good. His passing has been very good, hes been very good carrying the puck and frequently beating guys 1v1. In the last several games he did a great job centering mantha and frk and has probably been in on about 20 great scoring chances whether at wing or center.

Hes been all over the ice making things happen almost every time hes on the ice. Whats not to like?

MY hope for him is that for 1, he continues engaging the way he has been recently. For 2, that like larkin, over time, he gets a bit more patient with the puck and a bit better in selection in terms of risk/reward. But hes playing some great hockey right now.

This exactly. he's been the best player on the ice. his acceleration has been outstanding. He's making plays. He's scoring goals. He's lifting sticks. He's back-checking - other than those things I have noticed him...
0 x

Wizard of Corsica
All Star Vote Getter
All Star Vote Getter

Postby Wizard of Corsica » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:45 pm

George Costanza wrote:
aTTicA wrote:are you watching the games? otherwise i dont even know how you can ask that. His speed is elite as is his lateral movement and his acceleration. His shot is very good. His passing has been very good, hes been very good carrying the puck and frequently beating guys 1v1. In the last several games he did a great job centering mantha and frk and has probably been in on about 20 great scoring chances whether at wing or center.

This exactly. he's been the best player on the ice. his acceleration has been outstanding. He's making plays. He's scoring goals. He's lifting sticks. He's back-checking - other than those things I have noticed him...

Except I would leave him on the wing. He's much more disruptive when all he has to do on offense is get to the net and disrupt.

Agree he should be slotted with skill guys exclusively going forward. I would have loved to see AA on a line with Larionov and a Shanahan type, with today's rules.

It's annoying they're surrounded by so much dead weight but at least -Frk-AA-Larkin and Mantha (when engaged) are interesting to watch. But it will be a shame if their entire primes get wasted.
0 x

TS Quint
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby TS Quint » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:19 am

Wizard of Corsica wrote:
George Costanza wrote:

Except I would leave him on the wing. He's much more disruptive when all he has to do on offense is get to the net and disrupt.

Agree he should be slotted with skill guys exclusively going forward. I would have loved to see AA on a line with Larionov and a Shanahan type, with today's rules.

It's annoying they're surrounded by so much dead weight but at least -Frk-AA-Larkin and Mantha (when engaged) are interesting to watch. But it will be a shame if their entire primes get wasted.

Here's the correct answer. Everything he does well comes in the offensive half of the ice. He puts constant pressure on the defense when he has the puck or if he's in a race with a dman. Defensively he's still not good, he still bleeds shots and his vision for passing breaking out of his end isn't very good. Why ask him to play center where he needs to play further back in his own zone, have more defensive responsibility that he's not good at, his play making isn't good (Abdelkader has more A/60) and you reduce the amount of pressure he puts on dmen. No one is worried about AA when there's 3 and 4 guys back. Let him do what he does well, moving him to center is a BAD idea.
0 x

aTTicA
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby aTTicA » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:22 am

Sounds word for word what some1 was saying about larkin last year.

He looked great between mantha and frk..1 guy whos work ethic and defense has been questioned, another guy who many on this forum have claimed is nothing but a big shot.

This tram needs a top 2 center more than they need a top 6 winger. In the end if aa cant handle that role and makes a more effective winger than so be it. But hes still young, and still improving, and it would be criminally stupid not to give him time there and see what hes got. Recently hes looked just as good at c as he has at w.
0 x

Return to “General Discussion”