McCollum a good dude

(All things hockey - Red Wing and NHL hockey)
jaster
The 'Not So Great One'
The 'Not So Great One'

McCollum a good dude

Postby jaster » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:22 pm

Maybe it's a fluff piece, and maybe I'm posting it because of current personal circumstances, but I liked this read. Thumbs up to Tom McCollum. Too bad it didn't work out in Detroit, but I like that he's still part of the organization.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/01/griffins_goalies_act_of_kindne.html#incart_river_index

Grand Rapids Griffins goalie Tom McCollum will always try and stop Pierre-Cedric Labrie's shot but, off the ice, he went beyond any routine save to help out a first-time father.

Labrie, a left winger with the Milwaukee Admirals, was in Grand Rapids for a New Year's Eve game against the Griffins when he got that call from partner Jana Pieuze-Roy at about 2 a.m. Sunday.

It's time.

Labrie had few options to get back - flying wouldn't get him back in time, private rides or chaffeurs were impossible to get and, plus, there was a snow storm in the Milwaukee area.

That's where McCollum came in.

A story from Milwaukee Journal Sentinel described the sequence in which McCollum provided one of his biggest saves.

A stressed-out Labrie gave a call across the hotel room to Admirals teammate Mark Zengerle, a former Griffin, looking for suggestions. Zengerle said to call McCollum, widely known as one of the good guys in hockey.

What? Help out an opponent like Labrie, a 6-foot-3, 228-pound veteran tough guy who routinely goes over a 100 penalty minutes a year?

Yep.

McCollum, still en route from a game in Cleveland, arranged for Labrie to pick up his nearby Ford F-150. Within an hour, Labrie was on his way and, after battling through the snow storm, arrived at the hospital at 6:15 a.m. CST. At 6:54, the couple greeted a son, Lionel.
0 x

rangeredwing
Datsyukian Deke
Datsyukian Deke

Re: McCollum a good dude

Postby rangeredwing » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:26 pm

Good story
0 x

heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby heyfolks » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:52 pm

Good story and, I hope your personal story is also a positive one.
0 x
:auto-car: :auto-checkeredflag:

jaster
The 'Not So Great One'
The 'Not So Great One'

Postby jaster » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:54 pm

heyfolks wrote:Good story and, I hope your personal story is also a positive one.

First kid arriving in May. Everything good so far!

(changed my avatar for ya, hf)
2 x

heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby heyfolks » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:06 pm

jaster wrote:
heyfolks wrote:Good story and, I hope your personal story is also a positive one.

First kid arriving in May. Everything good so far!

(changed my avatar for ya, hf)

GREAT NEWS!!!!! Congratulations.

:text-welcomeconfetti: :text-+1:

Avatar - LOL! Thanks (I haven't changed mine since we started this site, and will not until HT finishes the so-called upgraded site :D ).
1 x
:auto-car: :auto-checkeredflag:

Return to “General Discussion”