As we approach the half way point

(All things hockey - Red Wing and NHL hockey)
holytoledo
Trouble Maker

As we approach the half way point

Postby holytoledo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:16 pm

I really can't believe that we've inched our way back up to the point where we're projected to pick #7 overall. I am somewhat amazed that Edmonton actually is in position to draft before us based on the playoffs they had last year, but given we're talking about Edmonton, I should not be surprised. Last time I ran the simulator Edmonton got the #1 pick and we got the #2. I'd take that. :)

As things stand I don't think we can pick lower than #10, but I'd really like to see us pick higher. There's a lot of hockey left, but I'd like to see Green traded sooner rather than later and then get a about a 10 game look at Russo, Hronek, Hicketts & Renouf. That'll help with our draft position, with evaluating these players and with their development. It's sort of a lose-win-win. :D

If the brass feels the need to keep it entertaining they can always call up McIlrath & he and Witkowski can put on a gong show when Witkowski's suspension is over.

I'm not for losing on purpose. I want to see the Wings play their asses off every night. The Wings I want to see playing their asses off are the kids that want to fight for a job. I know that we don't really have anyone that's NHL ready in the AHL right now and they'll struggle but I think getting these kids a taste and then sending them back down is a good idea. On the other side of the coin, Hronek is the brightest prospect of the guys I named and I think it's pretty clear that he's not physically ready for the NHL. It might not be a good idea to call him up at all.

We do need to lose to Florida tonight though, preferably in regulation. If the Wings win, they inch ahead of Florida in the standings. I am very fearful of being close to the final wild card as the deadline approaches.

Regardless of if he's staying or going, Holland's legacy would be best served if he could at least rid himself of one of his bad deals as well.

Honestly, starting with Daley's 3.167 mil, we don't have a single player on a "good" deal for over 3 mil. I'd be glad to move any of them in a fair deal.
1 x

Pop Zeus
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Re: As we approach the half way point

Postby Pop Zeus » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:31 pm

A couple things.
This is going to be a rough month for those of us who want to tank. Even though we've played a lot of home games, January is a home heavy schedule. There are also two long breaks for the team. So the team should be well-rested, which matters for the oldest team in the NHL.
If Athanasiou and Mantha are in the top 6, I expect this team will be better than they've been most of the season. That plus the easy January schedule could put us real close to a playoff spot on Feb. 1.

I think if we were way out, it makes it easy for Holland to swallow his pride, even if this is his last year, to trade away assets.
But if this team is close, I suspect it's going to be hard for him to trade away veterans.

Blashill's job is to win games. He's not very good at it. But Holland can help the tank cause by moving Green and maybe Nyquist and Daley.

I'd also look at moving Howard again, now, while his value has stabilized.
0 x
http://www.redwingsnow.com
Your source for regurgitated Red Wings News and crackpot opinions

holytoledo
Trouble Maker

Postby holytoledo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:46 pm

Pop Zeus wrote:I'd also look at moving Howard again, now, while his value has stabilized.

I'd move Howard and Mrazek and start Coreau the rest of the season. We might be able to catch Arizona then. :rollin:
2 x

heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby heyfolks » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:04 pm

Holland won't move ANY players. That moron will do just the opposite. I LOATHE "legacy" building in any field. That said, this team has a recent history of mediocrity as the defined goal..... Just get into the playoffs. It doesn't matter that we are first round fodder or that we made it because Boston spit the bit in game 82... WE MADE IT! You'd think they gained a trophy just for making the post season.

They NEVER should have signed Daley or Neilson but they did. Will they now move Green, Howard or ?????

Nope.

Stupid is as stupid does and this stupid will set the Wings back a few years.... again.
0 x

jaster
The 'Not So Great One'
The 'Not So Great One'

Postby jaster » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:20 pm

Holland will at least move Green, that should be obvious. Beyond that, I'm not sure. I've read there a couple teams mildly interested in Mrazek, so maybe you can move him for a 6th.

I don't see Howard going anywhere this deadline.

Daley's contract has him set up to be moved at next year's deadline, which I bet will happen.
0 x

Pop Zeus
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby Pop Zeus » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:38 pm

I'd trade Howard this week, eat $2M to get it done. Move him to the Isles for Halak or something.
Could get a second back in return.

Spend from now thru mid-February working on Mrazek and deciding whether to trade him or sign him.

Such a scenario gives the Wings the best options.
You maximize Howard's value.
You aren't trading Mrazek at his lowest value.
If you decide to keep Mrazek, maybe you have rehabbed an asset.
If you trade him, maybe you've increased his value.
And you have the option of signing Halak if you trade Mrazek or let him walk.

Isles have to be thinking they need a goalie.
They're trying to sign Tavares. And they can't win because they've given up 21 goals in 4 games.

Doesn't help that DeHaan is out for the year and Boychuk is out til the all-star break.
They might just decide to pack it in.

But I don't know if they can afford to do that and risk losing Tavares.
1 x

southfield sam
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Postby southfield sam » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:47 pm

Mrazek has no value! He's not an NHL caliber goalie and to top it off he's a horrible team mate
0 x

holytoledo
Trouble Maker

Postby holytoledo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:58 pm

Pop Zeus wrote:I'd trade Howard this week, eat $2M to get it done. Move him to the Isles for Halak or something.
Could get a second back in return.

Spend from now thru mid-February working on Mrazek and deciding whether to trade him or sign him.

Such a scenario gives the Wings the best options.
You maximize Howard's value.
You aren't trading Mrazek at his lowest value.
If you decide to keep Mrazek, maybe you have rehabbed an asset.
If you trade him, maybe you've increased his value.
And you have the option of signing Halak if you trade Mrazek or let him walk.

Isles have to be thinking they need a goalie.
They're trying to sign Tavares. And they can't win because they've given up 21 goals in 4 games.

Doesn't help that DeHaan is out for the year and Boychuk is out til the all-star break.
They might just decide to pack it in.

But I don't know if they can afford to do that and risk losing Tavares.

I agree to an extent. The biggest problem with Mrazek is that he has to get 4 to be qualified. Given the difficulties we've had signing him and the apparent bad blood between him and the org, if I can't figure out whether or not I want to keep him or I decide I want to keep him, but can't sign him before the deadline, he's gone for whatever I can get for him.

At the same time, trading Howard for Halak wouldn't be bad at all and if Mrazek doesn't work out, then a Halak-Coreau tandem would be perfectly fine for next year with where this team is at.
0 x

holytoledo
Trouble Maker

Postby holytoledo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:00 pm

jaster wrote:Holland will at least move Green, that should be obvious. Beyond that, I'm not sure. I've read there a couple teams mildly interested in Mrazek, so maybe you can move him for a 6th.

I don't see Howard going anywhere this deadline.

Daley's contract has him set up to be moved at next year's deadline, which I bet will happen.

Welcome back!

I agree they'll move Green. It almost impossible to envision that not happening.

Daley has a full NTC for next year. His deal is set up to move him in year 3.
0 x

Pop Zeus
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby Pop Zeus » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:11 pm

Right now the Wings are 6 points out of a playoff spot.
They've got an easy January schedule and, if they take advantage of it and go on a bit of a run, they could easily get to within 2-3 points of a playoff spot by early February.
If the Wings are 2 points out at the deadline, do you think Holland trades Green?
1 x

Return to “General Discussion”