World Juniors So Far - Re: The Draft

(All things hockey - Red Wing and NHL hockey)
Pop Zeus
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

World Juniors So Far - Re: The Draft

Postby Pop Zeus » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:53 pm

Watching the World Juniors and there were two guys I'd been wanting to see.
Quinn Hughes - Michigan D.
Andrei Svechnikov - Sudbury LW.
Rasmus Dahlin - Frolunda D
Filip Zadina - Halifax LW
Hughes looked great against Belarus or something but then was a liability the rest of the tournament. Despite all that speed, he's very small. His dad is small. His uncle is small.
I'm not opposed to undersized defensemen, but it depends how high in the draft we are.

Svechnikov - Against the USA he couldn't beat anyone to in the inside or the outside and he couldn't get anywhere near the net. He definitely didn't look like one of Russia's best players and didn't really stand out. Like his brother, his skating just doesn't seem to allow him to showcase his other skills.

Dahlin - Looks solid and has had his share of fantastic moments.

Zadina - Looked sensational some games. Not so much tonight against Canada.

At this point, it's very early, but after Dahlin, it's anyone's game.
Outside the #1 pick, I don't view this draft as any better than last year's. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see. I might be singing a different tune in February or June.

But I'm not sure it's totally clear you get a better pick #2 than #8.
0 x
http://www.redwingsnow.com
Your source for regurgitated Red Wings News and crackpot opinions

TS Quint
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Re: World Juniors So Far - Re: The Draft

Postby TS Quint » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:51 pm

I'm going to add Brady Tkachuk. I thought he's been great. He's got great hands, good speed and loves to make contact when ever he has a chance. I didn't see him step over the line really either. All you heard about was Middlestadt and Bellows but Tkachuk was 2nd on the team in scoring.

Dahlin is clearly the #1 undrafted player. Everything just looks easy for him. You see him skating the puck up the ice, it doesn't look like he's skating hard or moving fast until you notice the wake of opponents behind him. He's got the offense and he's never in trouble defensively. He's got a lot of hype behind him, if he was North American you would never hear the end of it. He looks better than Ekblad did to me.

I've really liked Zadina he's a goal scorer, leading the tournament with 7. Its not just that but he's got some quick hands. He turned Canada's #1 Dman Clague inside out before ripping it into the net tonight on his first goal. He made Clague look bad again on the second goal. He knows how to make space for himself in prime scoring areas to get his shot off and he's got one hell of a shot. He is 2nd in the tournament in shots with 32. I also think he's a little under rated with his passing, he just didn't have much to work with.

Svechnikov: I don't know. He still put up 5 assists for 2nd on his team in points but he didn't really jump out to me. I think coaching might have put a damper on him possibly. He's supposed to be a goal scoring machine but where was the PP time? Its a short tournament and his team really wasn't all that good so that might have hurt him but I think I'm just searching for some reason he's been ranked so highly and didn't really show it in this tournament.

Hughes: Not much of a factor. He did show some of his rushing ability and hands but didn't play a lot. He's no Cale Makar if you're looking for an undersized Dman in the tournament to compare him to. Makar is going to be a very good offensive dman in the NHL. Hughes will be back next year and should get more time to show his skill. But that doesn't help us for this upcoming draft.

My ranking based on this tournament. I think there was a clear top 3, Tkachuk and Zadina were neck and neck. I put Tkachuk over Zadina for an overall game but whoever gets these guys are going to have great players.

#1 Dahiln
#2 Tkachuk
#3 Zadina
#4 Svechnikov

#5 Hughes. He wasn't really a factor
0 x

Pop Zeus
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Re: World Juniors So Far - Re: The Draft

Postby Pop Zeus » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:18 pm

I saw Tkachuk as hit and miss. Looked good at times. Awful at times. But you're right. Overall, I'd probably have him ahead of Svech for the tournament. Maybe not Zadina.
0 x
http://www.redwingsnow.com
Your source for regurgitated Red Wings News and crackpot opinions

Return to “General Discussion”