Svechkin Struggle Article

(All things hockey - Red Wing and NHL hockey)
Kronstantinov
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Svechkin Struggle Article

Postby Kronstantinov » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:44 am

Biggest challenge facing slumping Evgeny Svechnikov may be himself

Updated 3:25 PM; Posted 3:22 PM
Evgeny Svechnikov digs for the puck against Rockford last week.(Mike Clark | MLive.com)
0shares
By Peter J. Wallner
pwallner@mlive.com
GRAND RAPIDS - The biggest battle that top Detroit Red Wings prospect Evgeny Svechnikov is facing in a prolonged slump may be against Evgeny Svechnikov.
The Grand Rapids Griffins second-year pro has not scored since Nov. 8, a span of 12 games, and his five points (2-3-5) in 20 games is lowest among forwards.
Not the way the team's top pick in 2015 was expected to start out.
And, most disappointed by the numbers may be Svechnikov.
"I never struggled like this and it's a challenge for me this year," he said after Tuesday's practice. "I think it's more tough mentally because I used to score goals and now I'm not.
"But, I'm still good. I come into the rink every day with the same positive attitude. Honestly, I'm going to tell you I never expected it. But, I don't give up. I keep pushing forward. That's all I can do and forget about the past."
It is a hardship Svechnikov has taken upon himself before. He is aware of his place as the Red Wings' top pick in 2015 (No. 19 overall), said coach Todd Nelson, who thinks Svechnikov places undue pressure on himself.
"His problem is he's his own worst critic," Nelson said. "Sometimes, he puts a lot of pressure on himself and when that happens, things go in a bad way.

"I just have to read off him to see how he's feeling and give him confidence because, right now, nobody likes what we're going through," the coach said. "In his case, he squeezes his stick tighter every game he plays.
"Bottom line is go out and have fun, play the system well and work hard."
By his own admission, Svechnikov said he "tries to do too much sometimes right now.
"I think it all comes down to confidence and, right now, I don't have it," he said. "You can say it, but you just have to find it. I just have to be more on the puck and take it to the net and get a few more shots."
The 21-year-old's struggles come after his preseason stock was high amid hopes he could land an early call-up to the Red Wings.
Last year, Svechnikov had 20 goals and 51 points - third on the team - and got his first dose of the NHL with two games with the Red Wings. He also played well in the AHL postseason with five goals and 12 points as the Griffins won the Calder Cup.
But he missed the final two preseason games with the Red Wings and the first five games of the Griffins season with a neck injury and hasn't gotten on track so far.
"Health is good, no problems," Svechnikov said. "There's so much stuff we can talk about, but the bottom line is I don't produce much right now. I'm still pushing myself and staying positive."
It doesn't help the Griffins (9-13-0-3) have lost eight of nine heading into Wednesday's home game against Iowa. But Nelson said he is not concerned.

"Sometimes it's the game within the game," he said. "It's not all roses. Sometimes, when you're down it can help you in the future and Geno certainly has a bright future."
Svechnikov can also draw confidence from the past. Last season, he also had a slow start. In fact, after 20 games Svecnhnikov had the same stats as this season - two goals and five assists. Over his next 20 games, he busted loose for 10 goals and six assists.

I copied and pasted this from a post at hf.
0 x

Kronstantinov
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Re: Svechkin Struggle Article

Postby Kronstantinov » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:48 am

In other Griffins’ news, they comeback from a 3-0 deficit to beat Iowa 4-3 in a SO on Wednesday.
Curiously Nelson employed Lashoff as the first shooter (he didn’t score). He does a lot of quirky things like playing 5 forwards on the PP most of the time.
0 x

frankster
Tatar-sauce
Tatar-sauce

Postby frankster » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:38 am

bring him up and put him with Larkin.
0 x

TS Quint
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby TS Quint » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:09 pm

frankster wrote:bring him up and put him with Larkin.

Why do you hate Svechnikov and Larkin so much? He's struggling at the AHL level so you want to put him in an even more difficult league, against the most difficult opponents and make Larkin try and carry him. How to destroy young players 101.
1 x
"Two rules, man: Stay away from my fuckin' percocets and do you have any fucking percocets, man?"

frankster
Tatar-sauce
Tatar-sauce

Postby frankster » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:55 pm

TS Quint wrote:
frankster wrote:bring him up and put him with Larkin.

Why do you hate Svechnikov and Larkin so much? He's struggling at the AHL level so you want to put him in an even more difficult league, against the most difficult opponents and make Larkin try and carry him. How to destroy young players 101.

Didn't they play really good together last year?
I remember Svechnikov flying around and they actually were connecting on passes.
IDK, maybe it was only 2-3 games but still they seams to click.
Larkin is a strange player to play with, maybe Svech is the guy for him and vice versa.
Hull and Oates, Sedin and Sedin, et. al.
0 x

aTTicA
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby aTTicA » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:40 pm

Sometimes, not always, a more talented player just cant click with less skilled linemates. They dont know how to find him...he sees the passing lane but nobody moves into the hole. The pass is in a place he can do anything with it or not on his tape...or hes making the play and other guys arent finishing.

Looking at GR, there just isnt alot of high end talent down there. Forwards or d. Svech hasnt looked bad when hes been here.

Im not saying he needs to be in detroit. But getting called up for a few games and playing with aa/frk or larkin mantha might be exactly what he needs.

Theres no definitive path. Pushing him into our lineup may put him in a position to thrive with better players. It may wreck his confidence over a period of time if he struggles. Every player is different and weve seen it go both ways
0 x

holytoledo
Trouble Maker

Postby holytoledo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:48 pm

I agree with TS for the most part, but it does seem like the guy is really struggling with confidence. Perhaps a call up would boost his confidence. It'd be more like getting a substantiative vote of confidence from the org than really something he's earned based on play this year.

Who is he playing with down there though? If Lorito is his C and the other wing is Tango or Puempel then I think he's playing with some pretty good AHL line mates.
1 x

TS Quint
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby TS Quint » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:28 pm

holytoledo wrote:I agree with TS for the most part, but it does seem like the guy is really struggling with confidence. Perhaps a call up would boost his confidence. It'd be more like getting a substantiative vote of confidence from the org than really something he's earned based on play this year.

Who is he playing with down there though? If Lorito is his C and the other wing is Tango or Puempel then I think he's playing with some pretty good AHL line mates.

And if he's ready for a call up shouldn't he be a line driver not waiting for a career AHLer to carry him?
0 x
"Two rules, man: Stay away from my fuckin' percocets and do you have any fucking percocets, man?"

heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby heyfolks » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:20 pm

holytoledo wrote:I agree with TS for the most part, but it does seem like the guy is really struggling with confidence. Perhaps a call up would boost his confidence. It'd be more like getting a substantiative vote of confidence from the org than really something he's earned based on play this year.

If you want to boost his confidence send Larkin down to play with him. It'll help both of them. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
1 x
:auto-car: :auto-checkeredflag:

holytoledo
Trouble Maker

Postby holytoledo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:51 pm

TS Quint wrote:

And if he's ready for a call up shouldn't he be a line driver not waiting for a career AHLer to carry him?

I mean, probably yeah, but if he's playing wing and no one is getting him the puck, then I don't know maybe.
0 x

Return to “General Discussion”