Game Day Thread #2: Detroit @ Ottawa 10.7.17

(All things hockey - Red Wing and NHL hockey)
winged wheel
Tatar-sauce
Tatar-sauce
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:19 pm
x 229
x 258

Re: Game Day Thread #2: Detroit @ Ottawa 10.7.17

Postby winged wheel » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:34 am

heyfolks wrote:
winged wheel wrote:Why am I not surprised? Ericsson with the turnover.



That pass was just plain DUMB! As said in the post game, he had room to skate it up.


Yeah, from what I remember, there wasn't anybody near him so he wasn't pressured to make the pass. Especially late in the game when you just took the lead and need to be careful. Flip it up and out if nothing else. It was just a bad decision, something he seems to do a lot.
1 x

User avatar
heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey
Posts: 8364
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:09 am
x 3375
x 1159

Re: Game Day Thread #2: Detroit @ Ottawa 10.7.17

Postby heyfolks » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:06 pm

winged wheel wrote:
heyfolks wrote:
winged wheel wrote:Why am I not surprised? Ericsson with the turnover.



That pass was just plain DUMB! As said in the post game, he had room to skate it up.


Yeah, from what I remember, there wasn't anybody near him so he wasn't pressured to make the pass. Especially late in the game when you just took the lead and need to be careful. Flip it up and out if nothing else. It was just a bad decision, something he seems to do a lot.



Your recollection is spot on.
0 x
:auto-car: :auto-checkeredflag:

User avatar
Zattaman
Tatar-sauce
Tatar-sauce
Posts: 1778
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:26 pm
x 166
x 369

Re: Game Day Thread #2: Detroit @ Ottawa 10.7.17

Postby Zattaman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:13 pm

Through two games, Ericsson-Jensen pair has been bad.

However, the other two pairs have been alright. So, what's Blashill's solution: break up Ericsson-Jensen and distribute that crap between two pairs.

defense pairs:
DeKeyser-Daley
Ericsson-Green
Ouellet-Jensen

Conclusion: Ericsson's ice time goes up.

Well done, Jeff.
1 x

El Jefe
Datsyukian Deke
Datsyukian Deke
Posts: 991
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:43 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM
x 276
x 453

Re: Game Day Thread #2: Detroit @ Ottawa 10.7.17

Postby El Jefe » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:36 pm

Zattaman wrote:Through two games, Ericsson-Jensen pair has been bad.

However, the other two pairs have been alright. So, what's Blashill's solution: break up Ericsson-Jensen and distribute that crap between two pairs.

defense pairs:
DeKeyser-Daley
Ericsson-Green
Ouellet-Jensen

Conclusion: Ericsson's ice time goes up.

Well done, Jeff.


I don't even think the Wings are carrying 7 defensemen, are they? I get what you're saying, but with 6 real defensemen on the roster, their only option to cover for Jensen and Ericsson is to keep them both on the ice, but break them up. You could count Witkowski, I suppose, but I thought that the Wings were only carrying 22 players because of the salary cap problems. If so, that is a case of Holland's mismanagement causing on-ice problems.
0 x

aTTicA
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey
Posts: 3097
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:47 am
x 406
x 847

Re: Game Day Thread #2: Detroit @ Ottawa 10.7.17

Postby aTTicA » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:17 pm

Kronwall... But it looks like they decided to bench xo to keep jensen in... If the opening night projected lineup still applies
.
0 x

User avatar
Zattaman
Tatar-sauce
Tatar-sauce
Posts: 1778
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:26 pm
x 166
x 369

Re: Game Day Thread #2: Detroit @ Ottawa 10.7.17

Postby Zattaman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:44 pm

El Jefe wrote:
Zattaman wrote:Through two games, Ericsson-Jensen pair has been bad.

However, the other two pairs have been alright. So, what's Blashill's solution: break up Ericsson-Jensen and distribute that crap between two pairs.

defense pairs:
DeKeyser-Daley
Ericsson-Green
Ouellet-Jensen

Conclusion: Ericsson's ice time goes up.

Well done, Jeff.


I don't even think the Wings are carrying 7 defensemen, are they? I get what you're saying, but with 6 real defensemen on the roster, their only option to cover for Jensen and Ericsson is to keep them both on the ice, but break them up. You could count Witkowski, I suppose, but I thought that the Wings were only carrying 22 players because of the salary cap problems. If so, that is a case of Holland's mismanagement causing on-ice problems.


I disagree. By breaking them up, Blash (or Houda) has created two weak pairs instead of one bad one. All he had to do is to keep their ice time where it was in the first game (13-14 minutes)... and not put them on the ice in the final 3 minutes, while we're trying to protect the lead!

Attica says Kronwall is in. Pair him with Ericsson and keep their ice time short. It immediately makes the 3rd pair much much better. Instead, Kronwall will babysit Jensen, while Green has to watch out for Ericsson.
0 x

aTTicA
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey
Posts: 3097
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:47 am
x 406
x 847

Re: Game Day Thread #2: Detroit @ Ottawa 10.7.17

Postby aTTicA » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:25 pm

Nooo kronwall is on ir still i think. But the original opening night lineup before his setback had xo sitting which imo is part of the problem. Give me xo, russo, give hicketts a shot or sproul. Anybody but nick effin jensen. Marchenko was way better than jensen.. but blash loves the guy
0 x

El Jefe
Datsyukian Deke
Datsyukian Deke
Posts: 991
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:43 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM
x 276
x 453

Re: Game Day Thread #2: Detroit @ Ottawa 10.7.17

Postby El Jefe » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:49 pm

Zattaman wrote:
El Jefe wrote:
Zattaman wrote:Through two games, Ericsson-Jensen pair has been bad.

However, the other two pairs have been alright. So, what's Blashill's solution: break up Ericsson-Jensen and distribute that crap between two pairs.

defense pairs:
DeKeyser-Daley
Ericsson-Green
Ouellet-Jensen

Conclusion: Ericsson's ice time goes up.

Well done, Jeff.


I don't even think the Wings are carrying 7 defensemen, are they? I get what you're saying, but with 6 real defensemen on the roster, their only option to cover for Jensen and Ericsson is to keep them both on the ice, but break them up. You could count Witkowski, I suppose, but I thought that the Wings were only carrying 22 players because of the salary cap problems. If so, that is a case of Holland's mismanagement causing on-ice problems.


I disagree. By breaking them up, Blash (or Houda) has created two weak pairs instead of one bad one. All he had to do is to keep their ice time where it was in the first game (13-14 minutes)... and not put them on the ice in the final 3 minutes, while we're trying to protect the lead!

Attica says Kronwall is in. Pair him with Ericsson and keep their ice time short. It immediately makes the 3rd pair much much better. Instead, Kronwall will babysit Jensen, while Green has to watch out for Ericsson.


I hear ya. I'm advocating the beer league approach. When you don't have any pairs that are stellar, but you have two guys who are decent, and two guys who aren't you balance the pairs so the decent guy can cover for the lousy guy. Two lousy guys together get exposed very quickly. That's kind of the problem with having a bunch of 4/5/6 defensemen like the Wings have; you can't hide 'em. I'm not sure any approach makes much difference in the long run, though.
0 x


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], savz171 and 1 guest