AA Update

(All things hockey - Red Wing and NHL hockey)
aTTicA
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Re: AA Update

Postby aTTicA » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:28 pm

AA has gotten himself into a situation and my feeling is that this is largely his agents doing. IF it was just about money he would have gone to the khl (if that offer even existed). However i get the feeling that his agent, in this case, is promising things he cant deliver and making a stand at his clients expense.

As it is right now AA has until dec 1 to sign. The wings offer is the best hes going to get. IF he doesnt sign by dec 1st hes right back in the same situation next year. Its highly unlikely he will get traded. Every game he misses costs him about 25K. Every game he misses is also another day he could get hurt skating with lugano or in any kind of accident, in which case hed be left with nothing.

The smart play for him, is, and continues to be sign asap. IF he wants arbitration next year? sign the 1 year deal. IF he wants a bigger payday/security? sign the 2 year deal at 1.9.

The guy has been promised a larger role. more icetime, a pk role. A power play role. IF he takes the one year deal @ just over 1 mil (and imo thats the deal there may be some wiggle room on. Maybe his agent can get it to 1.2 or 1.5), then if he performs well he may get a huge payday and a longer term deal, or he can go to arbitration and get a 1 or 2 year deal. (like hudler did right before he bailed). IIRC hudler was awarded something over 5 mil per for 2 years. Hes not gaining anything by sitting out.
0 x

CoconutBackwards
Datsyukian Deke
Datsyukian Deke

Postby CoconutBackwards » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:21 pm

aTTicA wrote:AA has gotten himself into a situation and my feeling is that this is largely his agents doing. IF it was just about money he would have gone to the khl (if that offer even existed). However i get the feeling that his agent, in this case, is promising things he cant deliver and making a stand at his clients expense.

As it is right now AA has until dec 1 to sign. The wings offer is the best hes going to get. IF he doesnt sign by dec 1st hes right back in the same situation next year. Its highly unlikely he will get traded. Every game he misses costs him about 25K. Every game he misses is also another day he could get hurt skating with lugano or in any kind of accident, in which case hed be left with nothing.

The smart play for him, is, and continues to be sign asap. IF he wants arbitration next year? sign the 1 year deal. IF he wants a bigger payday/security? sign the 2 year deal at 1.9.

The guy has been promised a larger role. more icetime, a pk role. A power play role. IF he takes the one year deal @ just over 1 mil (and imo thats the deal there may be some wiggle room on. Maybe his agent can get it to 1.2 or 1.5), then if he performs well he may get a huge payday and a longer term deal, or he can go to arbitration and get a 1 or 2 year deal. (like hudler did right before he bailed). IIRC hudler was awarded something over 5 mil per for 2 years. Hes not gaining anything by sitting out.

I don't know how you could possibly know this.
0 x
Postby Octopus » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:26 pm
It's all playoff-hokej. Get used to it. We have another round a-comin'.

Postby barbrady » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:29 pm
Octo wants to jinx us into blowing another 3-1 series lead.

southfield sam
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Postby southfield sam » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:27 pm

CoconutBackwards wrote:
aTTicA wrote:AA has gotten himself into a situation and my feeling is that this is largely his agents doing. IF it was just about money he would have gone to the khl (if that offer even existed). However i get the feeling that his agent, in this case, is promising things he cant deliver and making a stand at his clients expense.

I don't know how you could possibly know this.

it's been widely reported
0 x

southfield sam
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Postby southfield sam » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:30 pm

Patrick O'Sullivan‏Verified account
@realPOSULLIVAN
Follow
More Patrick O'Sullivan Retweeted Carl B.
Athanasiou needs to realize he hasn’t done enough to hold out. Great future but come back and play and eventually you’ll get your money
0 x

holytoledo
Trouble Maker

Postby holytoledo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:37 pm

southfield sam wrote:
holytoledo wrote:
heyfolks wrote:In my opinion AA is a key piece of the future of this organization. Does that mean he's worth 2.5 million today.? Nope. Would I trade him because he's holding out? Nope. I'll channel my inner Arnie here... He'll be back.

I do believe a compromised middle would exist if Holland had it negotiated this crappy roster to the cap limit. Holland should be looking at trades but not AA.

If he can move AA and break even in the trade, fine, but otherwise, see Jonathan Drouin.

Montreal gave up a lot to Drouin

Yeah, I meant how Stevie handled it. Het let Drouin sit and pout until he came back around because at the end of the day, Drouin had no leverage. Then once Drouin played and established value, he fleeced Montreal for him. If this relationship has reached the irreparable stage, that's what I'd like to see here.
1 x

aTTicA
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Postby aTTicA » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:47 pm

he doesnt have arbitration rights. Its highly unlikely the wings will trade him. The russian offers were "pulled" by a team citing not that he had missed too much of the season, but simply that he wanted too much money (which brings whether or not the offer ever even existed into the conversation). Especially when you consider datsyuk and kovulchuk are the highest paid players in the league at 4.5 and 5.5 mil, and there are only about 5 players making more than 2.5 mil. Only 7 making more than 2, and they are almost all russian players as are almost all the top 30 paid players in the league. the bulk of those players 7-30 make between 1.5 and 1 mil. So it would seem highly likely that his agent was not only lying about his clients intent to play in russia, but likely also lying about the value of any offer.

Where is he going to get a better offer from? The khl is the second highest paid league and said they arent interested. The swiss and swedish leagues offer pennies compared to the nhl. HE cant/couldnt file arbitration. He didnt get an offer sheet, and next year hes in exactly the same boat if he doesnt at least sign his qualifying offer.

The only thing that leaves is trade, which KH has already said he wont do unless he gets a great return, and who is going to give us a great return for somewhat of a project player? One with an agent who wants to negotiate against imaginary offers? And as stated the wings offer? at least for this season? Gets 25K less every game. For an agent that is squabbling over 3 or 400K? IF he ever gets it, and he likely wont, by the time he does hell have already lost as much if not more.
2 x

Pop Zeus
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby Pop Zeus » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:09 pm

southfield sam wrote:
Pop Zeus wrote:$2,5M on one side.
$1.9M on the other.
$2.2M is a nice deal.

If he goes 25-15-40 for two years at $2.2M... who the fuck is going to feel like they didn't get their money's worth.

Holland drawing this line in the sand is mindboggling.

This is all on AA and his agent! they lied about the KHL option and Holland called their bluff, now AA is too stupid to make the choice of making $1.9m/yr or nothing. sing the deal, come back over and tear it up. Then you can get paid. It's not that hard to figure out

It takes 2 people to come to a contract agreement.
0 x
http://www.redwingsnow.com
Your source for regurgitated Red Wings News and crackpot opinions

Pop Zeus
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby Pop Zeus » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:10 pm

aTTicA wrote:he doesnt have arbitration rights. Its highly unlikely the wings will trade him. The russian offers were "pulled" by a team citing not that he had missed too much of the season, but simply that he wanted too much money (which brings whether or not the offer ever even existed into the conversation). Especially when you consider datsyuk and kovulchuk are the highest paid players in the league at 4.5 and 5.5 mil, and there are only about 5 players making more than 2.5 mil. Only 7 making more than 2, and they are almost all russian players as are almost all the top 30 paid players in the league. the bulk of those players 7-30 make between 1.5 and 1 mil. So it would seem highly likely that his agent was not only lying about his clients intent to play in russia, but likely also lying about the value of any offer.

Where is he going to get a better offer from? The khl is the second highest paid league and said they arent interested. The swiss and swedish leagues offer pennies compared to the nhl. HE cant/couldnt file arbitration. He didnt get an offer sheet, and next year hes in exactly the same boat if he doesnt at least sign his qualifying offer.

The only thing that leaves is trade, which KH has already said he wont do unless he gets a great return, and who is going to give us a great return for somewhat of a project player? One with an agent who wants to negotiate against imaginary offers? And as stated the wings offer? at least for this season? Gets 25K less every game. For an agent that is squabbling over 3 or 400K? IF he ever gets it, and he likely wont, by the time he does hell have already lost as much if not more.

Great.
You've outline Ken Holland's supposed leverage.

Now tell me. How does Holland get Athanasiou into the lineup?
0 x
http://www.redwingsnow.com
Your source for regurgitated Red Wings News and crackpot opinions

aTTicA
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Postby aTTicA » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:47 pm

right after you explain how giving up 1.9 mil and sitting for the season, or playing for a few hundred K in a much lower tier league (which the team hes skating with has already said they have no intention of offering him a deal) gets AA any closer to a bigger, better contract.

Even if AA sits this year and holland gives him 3 mil (not gonna happen) next year, hes still lost .8 mil. Even if he signs around dec 1 for 2.2 mil, hes still lost more than that by holding out.

How does any of this help AA?

Isnt this team supposed to finish last in the east anyways? How much does not having AA in the lineup hurt us?
0 x

Zattaman
Tatar-sauce
Tatar-sauce

Postby Zattaman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:24 pm

JimIs70 wrote:Found this, this morning. Holland said the other day, no trade. Now this story shows up. I don't think I buy it.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/ins ... ?ref=david

McKenzie reports the ask from the Red Wings is a player of similar offensive skill who is at the same age or younger than Athanasiou.

??? Shouldn't a young top 4 D be more of a priority for us?

According to CapFriendly, the Detroit Red Wings are exactly at the league's the $75 million maximum with only 22 players on their roster. The team would need to waive or a trade player in order to add Athanasiou, or anyone else, to their 23-man roster.

:rollin:
0 x

Return to “General Discussion”