Game Thread #1: Minnesota at Detroit 10.5.17

(All things hockey - Red Wing and NHL hockey)
Martin1259
The 'Not So Great One'
The 'Not So Great One'

Re: Game Thread #1: Minnesota at Detroit 10.5.17

Postby Martin1259 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:26 am

As for the seemingly empty arena - that was not the case - I was there and the place is/was packed - I really love the concourses - nice and wide and a lot of different thing to go and see and do. The bathrooms (which were absolutely horrible at the Joe) were big and nice - but I expect that from a new building. You can watch the game from everywhere in the arena. Nice to be able to sit comfortably and watch the game. I absolutely love the amenities - the score board - inside and out is fantastic. I got the see most of the game from our seats - 5 rows behind the Wings bench. Had my doubts to go or not - but the newness of the arena was the draw - not the product on the ice. Mantha - Larkin - Frk were easily our best line - now if we can get at least 1 other line to produce. :clap:
3 x
Hockey - Its not just a sport - its an adiction!
:twisted:

holytoledo
Trouble Maker

Postby holytoledo » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:33 am

If the PK can stay at 100% and the PP can keep clicking at a 40% rate, this team should be OK.
0 x

CoconutBackwards
Datsyukian Deke
Datsyukian Deke

Postby CoconutBackwards » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:35 am

kmac wrote:My thoughts:
-Hey, the Wings did enough non-sucky things tonight to make a believer out of me...as in I believe the Wings won't be completely unwatchable this entire season (didn't feel that way most of last season)
-New arena is fucking tits,dudes
-Dubnyk had a highlight reel save early, but the last 2 goals the Wings scored looked pretty soft
-I strongly feel like all 4 lines we ran with last night are maximized based on the personnel the Wings have. I think you can make an argument about why certain guys are in the lineup or on the team at all, but I feel that Blashill has finally got it right in terms of who should be playing alongside whom. (watch him shake it all up next game)
-Its like the arena was pretty full when the game started, then everybody in the lower bowl just disappeared after the first period. Did they get lost in the new venue? Is there just so much shit to do there that they got distracted and forgot to go back to their seats? Not sure what the hell that was.
-Helm is awesome when he is utilized properly.
-Green looks great. I thought he even played mostly solid defense tonight.

Who cares?

The product on the ice is absolute shit.
0 x
Postby Octopus » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:26 pm
It's all playoff-hokej. Get used to it. We have another round a-comin'.

Postby barbrady » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:29 pm
Octo wants to jinx us into blowing another 3-1 series lead.

El Jefe
Datsyukian Deke
Datsyukian Deke

Postby El Jefe » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:43 am

Wizard of Corsica wrote:-As far as the power play, I don't recall them trying that drop pass zone entry charade. Hopefully it stays that way.

I think they did it every time the Larkin unit was out there, with Larkin being the guy to whom the puck was dropped. Now they drop it so far back it looks more like a re-group, but Larkin picks up the puck with speed, hits a wing on the side boards near the opposition blue line, and flies to the net. That was how they scored the power play goal that Larkin tipped in.

I still hate that zone entry, and it's like the Wings doubled down on it by dropping the puck even further back. It's more of a backwards pass now than a drop pass. It worked last night, but I question its long-term effectiveness.
0 x

Wizard of Corsica
All Star Vote Getter
All Star Vote Getter

Postby Wizard of Corsica » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:12 am

El Jefe wrote:
Wizard of Corsica wrote:-As far as the power play, I don't recall them trying that drop pass zone entry charade. Hopefully it stays that way.

I think they did it every time the Larkin unit was out there, with Larkin being the guy to whom the puck was dropped. Now they drop it so far back it looks more like a re-group, but Larkin picks up the puck with speed, hits a wing on the side boards near the opposition blue line, and flies to the net. That was how they scored the power play goal that Larkin tipped in.

I still hate that zone entry, and it's like the Wings doubled down on it by dropping the puck even further back. It's more of a backwards pass now than a drop pass. It worked last night, but I question its long-term effectiveness.

Hahaha maybe that's why I didn't pick up on it. When they wait until the neutral zone to get ramped up it looks like bubble hockey. If the focus is on having some momentum when they hit the blue line, it is a step forward.
1 x

rangeredwing
2nd Line Center
2nd Line Center

Postby rangeredwing » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:31 am

Wizard of Corsica wrote:
El Jefe wrote:

Hahaha maybe that's why I didn't pick up on it. When they wait until the neutral zone to get ramped up it looks like bubble hockey. If the focus is on having some momentum when they hit the blue line, it is a step forward.

It is a good thing to enter the zone with speed.
0 x

Wizard of Corsica
All Star Vote Getter
All Star Vote Getter

Postby Wizard of Corsica » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:46 am

Martin1259 wrote:As for the seemingly empty arena - that was not the case - I was there and the place is/was packed - I really love the concourses - nice and wide and a lot of different thing to go and see and do. The bathrooms (which were absolutely horrible at the Joe) were big and nice - but I expect that from a new building. You can watch the game from everywhere in the arena. Nice to be able to sit comfortably and watch the game. I absolutely love the amenities - the score board - inside and out is fantastic. I got the see most of the game from our seats - 5 rows behind the Wings bench. Had my doubts to go or not - but the newness of the arena was the draw - not the product on the ice. Mantha - Larkin - Frk were easily our best line - now if we can get at least 1 other line to produce. :clap:

Thanks for the intel. Do you have any pictures from the vantage point you can share? I want one of those gondola sections.
0 x
This shit lit bruh

aTTicA
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Postby aTTicA » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:27 am

i notice that as well. During the anthem it seemed packed prior to the puck drop, shortly thereafter empty seats. I can assume alot of it is thaat there is just so much to see and do in there that at any given time alot of seats are empty. Especially being the first game at a new arena.

As for the game? Not a bad start to the season. Howard looked sharp often and had to. Too many men? 1 minute in? And not a sloppy line change but 6 guys involved in the play? Sigh. After that kill we took over for a bit though and really generated some great chances. Nyquist got robbed.

Jensen, still terrible. Almost every shift hes coughing the puck up, passing it to nobody, or getting beat in his own end. Sadly it appears as if hes now passed XO as if kronner was in XO was out.

Frk Good moments and bad. In the D zone he seemed to be frequently behind his man and have some trouble outletting and not running himself into trouble. In the ozone he had a bit of an issue with one on one battles but seemed to have a pretty good sense of where to be. Still needs to get his shot off faster as one time he took a pass in the slot he didnt seem ready for and by the time he got it in a shooting position quincey got a stick in front of him and deflected his shot. But if he keeps putting pucks on net and scoring/creating rebounds he should be ok.

Mantha i really like his game. Hes got the ability to use his size, and reach to just create time andspace and slow things down and make very good passes.

Larkin, Pierre mentioned how much quicker he seems this season, i really didnt see it but overall the line performed well with larkin at center so thats a plus.

Z-tats nyq. Had a few good shifts but mostly seemed fairly uninvolved.

Dailey-i like the way he moves the puck. I think hes going to be a good fit for us, and something desperately needed. Can carry the puck up ice, moves well across the offensive blue line, gets shots through, moves the puck very well.

The power play. The first power play was a reminder of last year. We never really got into the zone clean and set up. Sometimes its almost amusing watching zetterberg on the power play. How easy it is for him to just glide into the zone protecting the puck and curl up on the half boards. Hes not dangling, or speeding in. ITs as if he just casually glides across the blue line and sets up shop. Why is this so hard for anyone else? Much like towards the end of last year, if and when the power play gets in and set up., they look decent. Was the same way in preseason.

This team has no answer for a 2 to 3 man aggressive forecheck and it hasnt in years. Once minny got the puck behind our net, nothing good happened for us. Not only was our positioning not good in terms of blocking off the boards and covering the puck carriers and winning battles, but our coverage away from the puck was terrible as well as their guys routinely came in all alone to take passes in and around the slot.
0 x

Martin1259
The 'Not So Great One'
The 'Not So Great One'

Postby Martin1259 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:37 pm

Wizard of Corsica wrote:
Martin1259 wrote:As for the seemingly empty arena - that was not the case - I was there and the place is/was packed - I really love the concourses - nice and wide and a lot of different thing to go and see and do. The bathrooms (which were absolutely horrible at the Joe) were big and nice - but I expect that from a new building. You can watch the game from everywhere in the arena. Nice to be able to sit comfortably and watch the game. I absolutely love the amenities - the score board - inside and out is fantastic. I got the see most of the game from our seats - 5 rows behind the Wings bench. Had my doubts to go or not - but the newness of the arena was the draw - not the product on the ice. Mantha - Larkin - Frk were easily our best line - now if we can get at least 1 other line to produce. :clap:

Thanks for the intel. Do you have any pictures from the vantage point you can share? I want one of those gondola sections.

I do but my phone sucks for pictures - Very early Samsung Galaxy - but our next game I will take my camera and hopefully get some good shots. The idea of having the score board on the inside of the big board is a welcome item. Since anyone sitting low cannot see the giants screens right above them the ones on the inside have all the information a person needs. They were pretty picky with letting people into sections they did not have seats - but that should soften up after last night - I want to go up high and look around also. :dance:
1 x
Hockey - Its not just a sport - its an adiction!
:twisted:

heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby heyfolks » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:00 pm

After the early on NONSENSE of the video reviews... ENOUGH already... the Wings played a far better puck control game than I thought they could.

I thought Frk was good. I thought both netminders made a few great saves.
0 x
:auto-car: :auto-checkeredflag:

Return to “General Discussion”