Game Thread #1: Minnesota at Detroit 10.5.17

(All things hockey - Red Wing and NHL hockey)
_sg
Veteran 4th Liner
Veteran 4th Liner

Re: Game Thread #1: Minnesota at Detroit 10.5.17

Postby _sg » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:29 pm

Hawks beating the Pens 8-1 lol
0 x
Try it out! (work in progress)

Zattaman
Tatar-sauce
Tatar-sauce

Postby Zattaman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:31 pm

_sg wrote:
Zattaman wrote:A lot of empty seats for an opening night in a new arena.

Yeah wow that place was empty.

It looked a little fuller later on, so maybe people were just wandering around and admiring the arena. Still, I would have expected every seat taken on a night like this.
0 x

Zattaman
Tatar-sauce
Tatar-sauce

Postby Zattaman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:42 pm

Good first game.

- Howard tracked the puck very well tonight

- I really like Helm's game. Played well with the puck and along the boards. Would be nice to see Nielsen - Helm - and NOT Abdelkader. Someone with skill could actually make that line dangerous.

- Good first game for Frk. Skated well, wasn't afraid of contact, and got rewarded for a nice shot.

- 3rd pairing minutes for Ericsson and Jensen. It's a bad pair. Ericsson already struggles defensively; he doesn't need incompetent Jensen as his partner. Fortunately, Houda didn't give much ice time to those two.

- Good movement on the PP. Seems they're shooting more.
1 x

dcz28
Two Kids and a Goat
Two Kids and a Goat

Postby dcz28 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:35 pm

Now that was a hit of the night...Helm with the old hip check sending the guy on his head.

Overall decent game by the Wings. I like the Mantha-Larkin-Frk line and hope they stay with it for at least a couple of games. Also liked them on the PP but just wish they wouldn't put Sheahan on with them. The Z line was good but could be better. The Nielsen line was ok. LFG line seemed to spend way too much time in their own zone. Some mistakes that led to the two goals by Larkin (let his guy go) and Green (missed check that allowed Stewart to come out in front of the net).

I was expecting a bad game but was pleasantly surprised overall. Nice to see Frk get a good chance to sink or swim with the Wings, he had a good game.
0 x
Play hard or get off the ice

JimIs70
All Star Vote Getter
All Star Vote Getter

Postby JimIs70 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:46 pm

So, anybody know what the Wings did to fix their cap problem? I heard they shorted their roster.
0 x

Scottgaf
Datsyukian Deke
Datsyukian Deke

Postby Scottgaf » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:05 am

I thought Nielsen was one of the best players on the ice tonight. Good to see pucks go in early in the season. Great for the kids confidence.
0 x

Wizard of Corsica
All Star Vote Getter
All Star Vote Getter

Postby Wizard of Corsica » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:31 am

Zattaman wrote:Good first game.

- Howard tracked the puck very well tonight

- I really like Helm's game. Played well with the puck and along the boards. Would be nice to see Nielsen - Helm - and NOT Abdelkader. Someone with skill could actually make that line dangerous.

- Good first game for Frk. Skated well, wasn't afraid of contact, and got rewarded for a nice shot.

- 3rd pairing minutes for Ericsson and Jensen. It's a bad pair. Ericsson already struggles defensively; he doesn't need incompetent Jensen as his partner. Fortunately, Houda didn't give much ice time to those two.

- Good movement on the PP. Seems they're shooting more.

-I agree with you for the most part, except I thought Frk struggled to keep up in the defensive zone. I'm a little worried about how he'll be at playoff pace (if applicable), but he continues to demonstrate good sense on offense, and doesn't waste time winding up.

-Z: Class, class, class. Although it's hard to imagine he won't get worn down by any legit #1 center out there.

-As far as the power play, I don't recall them trying that drop pass zone entry charade. Hopefully it stays that way.
0 x
This shit lit bruh

PrimeauDonna
Zamboni Driver
Zamboni Driver

Postby PrimeauDonna » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:38 am

trade GREEN. high trade value. 4 pts a game. on pace to set a new record! get 'em while he's hot. bargain price! only two 1sts and a stud defenseman replacement.!
0 x
"And in typical Russian class the Russians leave the ice before paying their respect to the Canadian national anthem.... I don't even know of a Russian you would be speaking of that I have condemned because of his nationality." - TSQ

EuroMan
Zamboni Driver
Zamboni Driver

Postby EuroMan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:26 am

Zattaman wrote:A lot of empty seats for an opening night in a new arena.

Why was that? I was shocked to see that?
0 x

kmac
Zamboni Driver
Zamboni Driver

Postby kmac » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:33 am

My thoughts:
-Hey, the Wings did enough non-sucky things tonight to make a believer out of me...as in I believe the Wings won't be completely unwatchable this entire season (didn't feel that way most of last season)
-New arena is fucking tits,dudes
-Dubnyk had a highlight reel save early, but the last 2 goals the Wings scored looked pretty soft
-I strongly feel like all 4 lines we ran with last night are maximized based on the personnel the Wings have. I think you can make an argument about why certain guys are in the lineup or on the team at all, but I feel that Blashill has finally got it right in terms of who should be playing alongside whom. (watch him shake it all up next game)
-Its like the arena was pretty full when the game started, then everybody in the lower bowl just disappeared after the first period. Did they get lost in the new venue? Is there just so much shit to do there that they got distracted and forgot to go back to their seats? Not sure what the hell that was.
-Helm is awesome when he is utilized properly.
-Green looks great. I thought he even played mostly solid defense tonight.
0 x

Return to “General Discussion”