Rasmussen didn't make NHL or AHL?

(All things hockey - Red Wing and NHL hockey)
EuroMan
Zamboni Driver
Zamboni Driver

Rasmussen didn't make NHL or AHL?

Postby EuroMan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:28 pm

The guy scored more goals than all others and goes to the net while the rest of the team does not. Why is he not given a shot in the NHL? Also, why is he not being sent to GR?? Am I missing something?
0 x

southfield sam
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Re: Rasmussen didn't make NHL or AHL?

Postby southfield sam » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:44 pm

EuroMan wrote:The guy scored more goals than all others and goes to the net while the rest of the team does not. Why is he not given a shot in the NHL? Also, why is he not being sent to GR?? Am I missing something?

Rasmussen was only eligible to play in the NHL or the CHL. which center position is going to take? Better for him to play juniors as #1 line center than to play as a Wing or 4th line Center in the NHL
1 x

aTTicA
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Postby aTTicA » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:48 pm

players at his age cant play in the A. ITs either nhl or juniors. There were alot of things i liked about his game, and ive meant to make a thread about it. 4 goals in 5 games is good, really good for someone his age. However like the book on him states, they were all power play goals, and zero assists. He did screen on one of tatars goals though.

IT shouldnt be lost that even though he got all of his goals on the power play, that our power play sucks and the one night we dressed a relatively full lineup, the power play routinely failed to get set up. Passes broken up in teh neutral zone, players challenged at the blue line, pressured on the boards, and center ice dump ins that were no where near being close to recoverable that just went right back down the ice.

What i like about him? His got great size, massive reach, good hands, and a bit of patience when it comes to rebounding. Hes not just trying to jam it through the goalie. I also liek that as a net front guy, hes not just standing there screening. HEs more of a rover, just gliding through the slot, and with his reach he can easily get a stick on shots to deflect them or pick pucks out of the pile. to cash in on rebounds.

What i didnt see from him. Rarely carried the puck and less so effectively. Didnt make alot of plays or passes with it. Not very physical. He will use his size and reach to buy himself time, and to protect the puck, but hes not much of a forechecker or hitter. However imo hes not fully grown. Itll be interesting to see how he develops as his body catches up to his frame.
0 x

Pop Zeus
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby Pop Zeus » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:28 pm

Rasmussen has the makings of a good second or third line winger who scores on the PP.
I can't see him as a center. So in that sense, I'm always going to dislike this pick unless he proves me wrong at center ice.
0 x
http://www.redwingsnow.com
Your source for regurgitated Red Wings News and crackpot opinions

El Jefe
Datsyukian Deke
Datsyukian Deke

Postby El Jefe » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:34 pm

I thought it was funny that Rasmussen scored twice as many goals in the pre-season as an 18-year-old as Riley Sheahan did all of last season. Of course, Ken Holland is looking at it like it took Rasmussen the entire pre-season to score as many goals as Sheahen did in a single game last season, and Holland is right now preparing a 7-year extension for Sheahan with a NMC.
1 x

Zattaman
Tatar-sauce
Tatar-sauce

Postby Zattaman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:50 pm

Positionally, looks like he's got some decent hockey sense. As an 18-year-old, he managed to keep up with and against the pros.

Physically, he is definitely mature enough to play in this league. I expect him to spend a year in juniors and, like Larkin at 19, be a full-time NHLer next season.

However, as noted by others, unless he magically learns this season to be a setup man, he was not the type of player we need.

It almost seems like another safe pick, a la Sheahan, where Holland drafted a kid who will definitely play in the NHL, but doesn't have much upside.
0 x

aTTicA
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Postby aTTicA » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:02 pm

i think hes physically mature enough as well, but i also think he hasnt quote filled out his mansuit yet either. I wouldnt be surprised if he puts on another 20 lbs or so before he hits the nhl. HE didnt look terrible between nyquist and tatar which is pretty impressive at his age.

However im not sure this was the "safe pick" You dont see alot of 6'5 nhl players to begin with and even fewer that have good offensive instincts, good hands, and skate well. HE seems to be a hard worker at both ends of the ice as well. ITs not like this guy was a top 3 pick. IF he ends up being a 30-40 goal guy @ #9 id call that a win.

I could easily see him centering nyquist and AA or mantha. Where mantha and nyquist do more of the puck carrying and passing/shooting. I have a feeling mantha and larkin are going to compliment each other quite well this year with mantha being the big guy that can slow the play down, hold it and protect it while larkin uses his speed to drive the center and draw the D leaving our D more open to come in late. ITs less typical but can be effective.
0 x

pokerandpucks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Re: RE: Re: Rasmussen didn't make NHL or AHL?

Postby pokerandpucks » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:11 pm

Pop Zeus wrote:Rasmussen has the makings of a good second or third line winger who scores on the PP.
I can't see him as a center. So in that sense, I'm always going to dislike this pick unless he proves me wrong at center ice.
Yup

Sent from my toilet
1 x
Take out the trash, fire Holland and Blash!

pokerandpucks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby pokerandpucks » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:12 pm

El Jefe wrote:I thought it was funny that Rasmussen scored twice as many goals in the pre-season as an 18-year-old as Riley Sheahan did all of last season. Of course, Ken Holland is looking at it like it took Rasmussen the entire pre-season to score as many goals as Sheahen did in a single game last season, and Holland is right now preparing a 7-year extension for Sheahan with a NMC.
Because preseason goals are far from the most important measure of how ready a kid is

Sent from my toilet
1 x
Take out the trash, fire Holland and Blash!

heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby heyfolks » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:15 pm

pokerandpucks wrote:
Pop Zeus wrote:Rasmussen has the makings of a good second or third line winger who scores on the PP.
Yup

Sent from my toilet

x2
0 x
:auto-car: :auto-checkeredflag:

Return to “General Discussion”