AA To KHL?

(All things hockey - Red Wing and NHL hockey)
Pop Zeus
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Re: AA To KHL?

Postby Pop Zeus » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:16 pm

Depends on what he does in the KHL and in the Olympics.
If he goes to the KHL and has a poor season and plays on line 4 in the Olympics, he'll return to Detroit and take whatever they offer.
If he goes to the KHL and is among the best on the team and then has a big Olympics, teams will notice.
And then maybe it won't only be KHL teams competing for his service.
Holland fucked this up offering $1.25M. It forced A2's agent to go looking for offers and he got a couple good ones.
Since then Holland has raised his offer approximately $650,000.
My guess is if Holland started at a reason offer - like $1.7M - we'd have a deal done around $2M.
But now that A2's gone shopping, he thinks he can squeeze out some more.
1 x
http://www.redwingsnow.com
Your source for regurgitated Red Wings News and crackpot opinions

El Jefe
Datsyukian Deke
Datsyukian Deke

Postby El Jefe » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:39 pm

If he goes to the KHL and is among the best on the team and then has a big Olympics, teams will notice.

AA's speed might be an even bigger weapon on the bigger ice surface in Europe. It may portend a good year for him.
0 x

heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby heyfolks » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:04 pm

savz171 wrote:This is a bluff. I dare AA to go to the khl

^^^THIS^^^
0 x
:auto-car: :auto-checkeredflag:

aTTicA
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby aTTicA » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:59 pm

Between Khs initial offer and blashills tendency to bench him youd have to imagine the wings dont think very much of him. This is a team that paid drew miller 1.2 mil, glendenning 1.7 mil, tootoo 2.4 mil (and almost immediately sent him to the ahl. And they are offering aa 1.2 mil? Im intentionally leaving out some of the higher value contract fuckups (abby, helm, nielsen, ericsson, DDk). AA to me is one of a handful of players on this roster and in our system that has star potential. I dont know that he will get there, but at the very least hes already shown he can put up points in limited minutes with shitty linemates. ITs deeply concerning that this is the guy they squeeze, especially over a relatively small amount of money.

The article indicates the russian offers are between 2.5 and 3 mil. Thats a difference of about 6-700K- 1ish mil. This is the guy id throw the 5 year @2.5-3 mil at. It doesnt matter that he doesnt have much leverage. Even if he stays as is and just gets into all the games hes probably a 20-20 winger who can use his explosive speed to shift momentum in the snap of a finger. Thats worth the 2.5 easily. IF he puts a few things together, hed be a steal.

MY feeling is that if he was going to russia he would be there already. Their season is already underway, and even if he was offered 3 mil, how much is he going to lose if he misses the first 10 or so games? Then there is packing up your shit and spending a year in russia away from friends and family etc. And if iirc their contracts arent guaranteed. So in the end im betting he will stay, but imo Not giving hi ma better deal with more term now is going to bite us in the ass later.
0 x

pokerandpucks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby pokerandpucks » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:29 pm

I laugh at some of the Holland Slappies on other boards. When he game Helm that deal they argued that he was worth it based on his speed alone. Now Holland is smart for not overpaying a guy because he's fast

Sent from my toilet
1 x
Take out the trash, fire Holland and Blash!

cska91
Two Kids and a Goat
Two Kids and a Goat

Postby cska91 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:11 am

pokerandpucks wrote:I laugh at some of the Holland Slappies on other boards. When he game Helm that deal they argued that he was worth it based on his speed alone. Now Holland is smart for not overpaying a guy because he's fast

Sent from my toilet

^^^THIS^^^
0 x
"We got a blueprint of how to be better. We just didn't execute there." - Jeff Blashill

cska91
Two Kids and a Goat
Two Kids and a Goat

Postby cska91 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:28 am

aTTicA wrote:Between Khs initial offer and blashills tendency to bench him youd have to imagine the wings dont think very much of him. This is a team that paid drew miller 1.2 mil, glendenning 1.7 mil, tootoo 2.4 mil (and almost immediately sent him to the ahl. And they are offering aa 1.2 mil? Im intentionally leaving out some of the higher value contract fuckups (abby, helm, nielsen, ericsson, DDk). AA to me is one of a handful of players on this roster and in our system that has star potential. I dont know that he will get there, but at the very least hes already shown he can put up points in limited minutes with shitty linemates. ITs deeply concerning that this is the guy they squeeze, especially over a relatively small amount of money.

The article indicates the russian offers are between 2.5 and 3 mil. Thats a difference of about 6-700K- 1ish mil. This is the guy id throw the 5 year @2.5-3 mil at. It doesnt matter that he doesnt have much leverage. Even if he stays as is and just gets into all the games hes probably a 20-20 winger who can use his explosive speed to shift momentum in the snap of a finger. Thats worth the 2.5 easily. IF he puts a few things together, hed be a steal.

MY feeling is that if he was going to russia he would be there already. Their season is already underway, and even if he was offered 3 mil, how much is he going to lose if he misses the first 10 or so games? Then there is packing up your shit and spending a year in russia away from friends and family etc. And if iirc their contracts arent guaranteed. So in the end im betting he will stay, but imo Not giving hi ma better deal with more term now is going to bite us in the ass later.

There is definitely a lot of risk in going to the KHL, particularly with going anywhere in Russia that is not Moscow. But I don't think it's just a ploy at this point. Greenbacks are greenbacks. AA and his agent may not have expected that level of interest and initially just tried to build leverage, but if I can make double over a shorter season and have a shot at the national team in the Olympics, I see that as a serious option and I am weighing my pros and cons carefully.

IMHO, the only reason Holland is squeezing AA is because Holland ran out of cap space. I don't think it's a statement about how they view AA and his talent level. They decided that they wanted to sign Daley to improve the D. Then they focused on Tatar. But because they also signed Witkowski along the way and doubled Ouellet's salary, they ran out of cap space for AA. The smart play would have been to focus on AA, before Ouellet and Witkowski. The smartest play would have been not signing Daley.

To me, this is not as much about AA, as it is about the overall and ongoing shit job Holland has done managing the cap. Yet, he is still considered as one of the top GMs in the game. :roll:
0 x
"We got a blueprint of how to be better. We just didn't execute there." - Jeff Blashill

Pop Zeus
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby Pop Zeus » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:53 pm

I think it's Holland's MO to squeeze guys in their post-entry-level deal.
He obviously did so with Nyquist - though Nyquist didn't have much of a track record.

What's interesting is that after Tatar's 19 goal season, Holland handed him a nice big $2.75M deal.
Now, Tatar also had more assists and a better CF.
But Tatar was playing with a better team, a better coach, etc.
And, the cap was lower by about 6M
0 x

legendofgordi
Datsyukian Deke
Datsyukian Deke

Postby legendofgordi » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:22 am

Let's not lose sight of the fact that this has occurred because Ken holland completely and totally mismanaged the roster. It's all on him.
1 x

reginawing
Veteran 4th Liner
Veteran 4th Liner

Postby reginawing » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:58 am

Nice to see more & more fans seeing the facts that has been Detroit for 5 years now "Ken holland completely and totally mismanaged the roster. It's all on him." Now if only the new owner had any time to look at the team like his father did wde wouldn't be in the shit hole so actually the main problem is the owner...and the only way this guy will see if fans stay away from his new rink....you know that is not going to happen for another couple years of basement seasons. The future is not bright in Detroit and if I was a young hockey player it would be a death sentence to become Redwing property....SAD SAD SAD
1 x

Return to “General Discussion”