Zetterberg to retire

(All things hockey - Red Wing and NHL hockey)
El Jefe
Datsyukian Deke
Datsyukian Deke

Re: Zetterberg to retire

Postby El Jefe » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:27 pm

pokerandpucks wrote:
El Jefe wrote:
pokerandpucks wrote:The league knows they games the system, hence the recapture penalty. If Zetterberg says his back hurts too much and a doctor signs off, I don't see how they can fight it.

Granted, by then the league or PA might opt out of the CBA so it might be a moot point.

Sent from my toilet

They fight it like this (per the CBA):

(f) The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the
circumstances under which a Player is: (i) placed, or remains, on the Injured Reserve List, or (ii)
designated Injured Non-Roster. If the Commissioner has reason to believe that the Injured
Reserve List or Injured Non-Roster status has not been utilized properly by the involved Club or
otherwise Circumvents any provision of this Agreement, or if he determines that the Club has
used the Injured Reserve and/or Injured Non-Roster designations to evade the Active Roster
limit, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club as he deems appropriate.

Zetterberg: My back hurts too much to play.
Doctors: This is hte diagnosis, he shouldn't play.
Bettman: I don't believe medical experts.

Is that how you think it would work?

Yeah, pretty much, particularly since Zetterberg's statements about his contract are out there now. The Commissioner is given a lot of latitude on that deal, too, per the above. I just don't think the NHL will look the other way at this point. If Zetterberg had been quiet about his view of the contract length vis-a-vis his retirement expectations, the LTIR might have had a chance, but not now. Further:

(d) Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception to the Upper Limit. In the
event that a Player on a Club becomes unfit to play (i.e., is injured, ill or disabled and unable to
perform his duties as a hockey Player) such that the Club's physician believes, in his or her
opinion, that the Player, owing to either an injury or an illness, will be unfit to play for at least (i)
twenty-four (24) calendar days and (ii) ten (10) NHL Regular Season games, and such Club
desires to replace such Player, the Club may add an additional Player or Players to its Active
Roster, and the replacement Player Salary and Bonuses of such additional Player(s) may increase
the Club's Averaged Club Salary to an amount up to and exceeding the Upper Limit, solely as,
and to the extent and for the duration, set forth below. If, however, the League wishes to
challenge the determination of a Club physician that a Player is unfit to play for purposes of the
Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception, the League and the NHLPA shall promptly
confer and jointly select a neutral physician, who shall review the Club physician's determination
regarding the Player's fitness to play.

By the way, the NHL is looking into Hossa's LTIR qualification.
0 x

pokerandpucks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby pokerandpucks » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:02 pm

So the neutral physician says "yup, he's hurt," then the league can't do much about it.

If Zetterberg was retiring now, or if that article came out in 2 years, I'd agree with you more. But he has a history of back issues, and in 2 years it very well could be bad again.

Either that or the Wings are FUCKED
0 x
Take out the trash, fire Holland and Blash!

El Jefe
Datsyukian Deke
Datsyukian Deke

Postby El Jefe » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:22 pm

pokerandpucks wrote:So the neutral physician says "yup, he's hurt," then the league can't do much about it.

If Zetterberg was retiring now, or if that article came out in 2 years, I'd agree with you more. But he has a history of back issues, and in 2 years it very well could be bad again.

Either that or the Wings are FUCKED

Yeah, I think that's right. The overriding problem, though, is that the Wings are in a situation by virtue of cap mismanagement with several mediocre players that they have to gamble on Hank being on LTIR "post-retirment." It's almost like the Wings' approach is to spend up to the cap, and if your contract comes up when there is cap space available, well, Hallelujah! If your contract comes up when there is no cap space, oh, well, you're screwed (see AA).
0 x

Kronstantinov
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Postby Kronstantinov » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:25 pm

heyfolks wrote:Let the guy go out on top. Trade him.

If he was traded the team that acquires would have no incentive to place him on the IR after he retires leaving the Wings with the recapture penalty.
0 x

heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby heyfolks » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:30 pm

Kronstantinov wrote:
heyfolks wrote:Let the guy go out on top. Trade him.

If he was traded the team that acquires would have no incentive to place him on the IR after he retires leaving the Wings with the recapture penalty.

1) They save cap for the next 2 years.
2) They pick up some talent in the trade.
3) Without Hank this team will get the #1 pick. It's a LOCK!

This is Holland's only way to salvation. I can see the Fowler for Hank deal now.
0 x
:auto-car: :auto-checkeredflag:

aTTicA
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Postby aTTicA » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:48 pm

That makes no sense. Save cap for the next 2 years? For what? Green and mrazek likely wont be back. Howard the year after. That simply puts us in a position where when we might need the capspace, itll be tied up. And we likely arent getting an established high end young d for a vet who may fall apart at any moment.

And no matter how much you keep saying we need to finish dead last by a mile to get the #1 pick, colorado did exactly that this year and picked 3rd right behind phili who barely missed. Colorado, who finished nearly 20 points behind the next team had an 18% chance. The devils with an 8.5% chance got the #1 pick. We had a 6.7% chance.

1 out of 5 years by the odds the team who finishes last will get the top pick.
0 x

pokerandpucks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby pokerandpucks » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:55 pm

Last place still gives you the best shot and guarantees a top 3 pick.

Sent from my toilet
1 x

Kronstantinov
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Postby Kronstantinov » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:44 pm

pokerandpucks wrote:Last place still gives you the best shot and guarantees a top 3 pick.

Sent from my toilet

More importantly Blashill would get trashed and hasten a change at GM.
1 x

pokerandpucks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby pokerandpucks » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:28 pm

Blashithead maybe. Holland only of revenue was down

Sent from my toilet
0 x

heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby heyfolks » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:16 am

aTTicA wrote:That makes no sense. Save cap for the next 2 years? For what? Green and mrazek likely wont be back. Howard the year after. That simply puts us in a position where when we might need the capspace, itll be tied up. And we likely arent getting an established high end young d for a vet who may fall apart at any moment.

And no matter how much you keep saying we need to finish dead last by a mile to get the #1 pick, colorado did exactly that this year and picked 3rd right behind phili who barely missed. Colorado, who finished nearly 20 points behind the next team had an 18% chance. The devils with an 8.5% chance got the #1 pick. We had a 6.7% chance.

1 out of 5 years by the odds the team who finishes last will get the top pick.

1) Z isn't breaking down.
2) Yes, if he is not on the Wings roster, but another NHL team's roster, he is not taking up cap space. In case you missed this team is over the cap.
3) His out years are dog years anyway. He just said it. The team is screwed.
4) A top 2 center of his pedigree will bring young talent. I doubt he wants to play in Toronto or Edmonton but a warm weather city with a team that is close to competing for the Cup may sway him to make a move. He knows this team is going nowhere.
5) The fewer the points the higher the odds of getting the top pick. They'd get no less than a 3.
0 x

Return to “General Discussion”