Zetterberg to retire

(All things hockey - Red Wing and NHL hockey)
Brono
Zamboni Driver
Zamboni Driver
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:15 am
x 136
x 55

Zetterberg to retire

Postby Brono » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:53 pm

In two more seasons...no surprise there. He's going to retire when he starts making a million a season.
This came from a sportsnet article.
0 x
Your rattling my buckie

User avatar
pokerandpucks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey
Posts: 4414
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:29 am
x 19
x 1251

Re: Zetterberg to retire

Postby pokerandpucks » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:23 pm

No surprise. Hopefully they can argue his back is bad enough he can't play at that point

Sent from my toilet
0 x
Take out the trash, fire Holland and Blash!

dcz28
Two Kids and a Goat
Two Kids and a Goat
Posts: 1511
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:51 pm
x 137
x 320

Re: Zetterberg to retire

Postby dcz28 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:20 pm

pokerandpucks wrote:No surprise. Hopefully they can argue his back is bad enough he can't play at that point

Sent from my toilet


You would think so but given his comments the league might try and fight it.

“The only reason why we wrote such a long contract was because of the payroll,” Zetterberg explained to Aftonbladet. “It is quite obvious that you try to fool the system.

“Actually, I may have two years left, but I have also learned to take one year at a time. But I will probably not play until then (the 2020-21 season, when his contract expires).”

That highlighted comment might get the NHLs panties in a twist since he is basically admitting that he never had the intention of playing those last 2 years and it was just to circumvent the cap. He should have probably kept his mouth shut on that.
0 x
Play hard or get off the ice

User avatar
heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey
Posts: 8182
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:09 am
x 3320
x 1140

Re: Zetterberg to retire

Postby heyfolks » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:10 pm

Let the guy go out on top. Trade him.
0 x
:auto-car: :auto-checkeredflag:

User avatar
pokerandpucks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey
Posts: 4414
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:29 am
x 19
x 1251

Re: Zetterberg to retire

Postby pokerandpucks » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:34 am

The league knows they games the system, hence the recapture penalty. If Zetterberg says his back hurts too much and a doctor signs off, I don't see how they can fight it.

Granted, by then the league or PA might opt out of the CBA so it might be a moot point.

Sent from my toilet
0 x
Take out the trash, fire Holland and Blash!

El Jefe
Datsyukian Deke
Datsyukian Deke
Posts: 981
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:43 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM
x 272
x 451

Re: Zetterberg to retire

Postby El Jefe » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:54 am

pokerandpucks wrote:The league knows they games the system, hence the recapture penalty. If Zetterberg says his back hurts too much and a doctor signs off, I don't see how they can fight it.

Granted, by then the league or PA might opt out of the CBA so it might be a moot point.

Sent from my toilet


They fight it like this (per the CBA):

(f) The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the
circumstances under which a Player is: (i) placed, or remains, on the Injured Reserve List, or (ii)
designated Injured Non-Roster. If the Commissioner has reason to believe that the Injured
Reserve List or Injured Non-Roster status has not been utilized properly by the involved Club or
otherwise Circumvents any provision of this Agreement, or if he determines that the Club has
used the Injured Reserve and/or Injured Non-Roster designations to evade the Active Roster
limit, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club as he deems appropriate.
0 x

aTTicA
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey
Posts: 3057
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:47 am
x 396
x 839

Re: Zetterberg to retire

Postby aTTicA » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:39 am

how long z plays will depend largely on his health. IF he has another year or 2 like last year then maybe he stays a 3rd year. When hes ready to retire im sure tehyll find a way to ltir him. Just look at hossa ffs.
0 x

CoconutBackwards
Datsyukian Deke
Datsyukian Deke
Posts: 1027
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:25 pm
x 434
x 165

Re: Zetterberg to retire

Postby CoconutBackwards » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:08 pm

aTTicA wrote:how long z plays will depend largely on his health. IF he has another year or 2 like last year then maybe he stays a 3rd year. When hes ready to retire im sure tehyll find a way to ltir him. Just look at FRANZEN ffs.


FTFY
0 x
Postby Octopus » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:26 pm
It's all playoff-hokej. Get used to it. We have another round a-comin'.

Postby barbrady » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:29 pm
Octo wants to jinx us into blowing another 3-1 series lead.

User avatar
pokerandpucks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey
Posts: 4414
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:29 am
x 19
x 1251

Re: Zetterberg to retire

Postby pokerandpucks » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:40 pm

El Jefe wrote:
pokerandpucks wrote:The league knows they games the system, hence the recapture penalty. If Zetterberg says his back hurts too much and a doctor signs off, I don't see how they can fight it.

Granted, by then the league or PA might opt out of the CBA so it might be a moot point.

Sent from my toilet


They fight it like this (per the CBA):

(f) The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the
circumstances under which a Player is: (i) placed, or remains, on the Injured Reserve List, or (ii)
designated Injured Non-Roster. If the Commissioner has reason to believe that the Injured
Reserve List or Injured Non-Roster status has not been utilized properly by the involved Club or
otherwise Circumvents any provision of this Agreement, or if he determines that the Club has
used the Injured Reserve and/or Injured Non-Roster designations to evade the Active Roster
limit, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club as he deems appropriate.


Zetterberg: My back hurts too much to play.
Doctors: This is hte diagnosis, he shouldn't play.
Bettman: I don't believe medical experts.

Is that how you think it would work?
0 x
Take out the trash, fire Holland and Blash!

dcz28
Two Kids and a Goat
Two Kids and a Goat
Posts: 1511
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:51 pm
x 137
x 320

Re: Zetterberg to retire

Postby dcz28 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:26 pm

pokerandpucks wrote:
El Jefe wrote:
pokerandpucks wrote:The league knows they games the system, hence the recapture penalty. If Zetterberg says his back hurts too much and a doctor signs off, I don't see how they can fight it.

Granted, by then the league or PA might opt out of the CBA so it might be a moot point.

Sent from my toilet


They fight it like this (per the CBA):

(f) The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the
circumstances under which a Player is: (i) placed, or remains, on the Injured Reserve List, or (ii)
designated Injured Non-Roster. If the Commissioner has reason to believe that the Injured
Reserve List or Injured Non-Roster status has not been utilized properly by the involved Club or
otherwise Circumvents any provision of this Agreement, or if he determines that the Club has
used the Injured Reserve and/or Injured Non-Roster designations to evade the Active Roster
limit, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club as he deems appropriate.


Zetterberg: My back hurts too much to play.
Doctors: This is hte diagnosis, he shouldn't play.
Bettman: I don't believe medical experts.

Is that how you think it would work?


The league hasn't gone after players like Hossa or Pronger so it is unlikely they would go after Zetterberg but Hossa/Pronger didn't publicly admit to the media they never had the intention of playing the last few low paid years (even if everyone knew it). I could see Bettman wanting to make an example out of Zetterberg for publicly stating this but i figure he won't given the recapture penalties and Holland as GM with all those horrible contracts on the books will be punishment enough.
0 x
Play hard or get off the ice


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aTTicA, JimIs70, savz171 and 4 guests