All You Need To Know

(All things hockey - Red Wing and NHL hockey)
El Jefe
Datsyukian Deke
Datsyukian Deke

All You Need To Know

Postby El Jefe » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:02 am

From the Free Press this morning:

Looking ahead: Mantha, 22, seems to be figuring out how to be a good pro, from diet to working out to realizing just how much effort it takes to be a factor on a regular basis in the NHL. Management and coaches have hammered home to Mantha that he needs to skate, and use his 6-foot-5, 221-pound body to be a nuisance in front of the net. Mantha saw spotty power play time last season and wasn’t on either of the units that had the power play at nearly 25% the last 30 games of the season, but if there is an injury to power play net front men Justin Abdelkader or Riley Sheahan – or if either unit is retooled, Mantha will get a chance for special teams minutes.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2017/08/17/detroit-red-wings-anthony-mantha/576001001/

Ay, caramba...
0 x

dcz28
Two Kids and a Goat
Two Kids and a Goat

Re: All You Need To Know

Postby dcz28 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:20 am

A guy that needed game number 82 to score a goal is a mainstay on the PP...can't get any more pathetic than that. Lets not put the big young player with hands and a good shot on it because they might actually score and if they do put him well lets just make him stand in front of the goalie and just use his size instead of his shot.

I hope after they crash and burn this season they clean house. Need a new GM and coach to start a proper rebuild.
1 x
Play hard or get off the ice

Brono
Zamboni Driver
Zamboni Driver

Postby Brono » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:30 am

HSJ doesnt know shit about pp lines this upcoming season. If mantha isnt on either pp unit this team is more fucked then we could have imagined
0 x
Your rattling my buckie

pokerandpucks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby pokerandpucks » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:45 am

Mantha's process isn't good enough yet. Every one knows that you have to be good defensively to play the PP, that's more important than being able to score.

Sent from my toilet
0 x
Take out the trash, fire Holland and Blash!

frankster
Tatar-sauce
Tatar-sauce

Postby frankster » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:00 pm

Yea, Homer was great defensively, that's why he was so good in front of the net!!
Mantha's #1 asset is he gets open and shoots quickly and scores, he doesn't really get dirty too much or grind it out, he just gets open and scores.

Sheahan on the PP = great draft pick; I like our strategy at least for 1 more year.
0 x

southfield sam
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Postby southfield sam » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:10 pm

It always amazes me that the so called fans on this not only get pissed when the Wings make the playoffs but actually want the team to finish dead last
0 x

aTTicA
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby aTTicA » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:14 pm

Thats not entirely accurate. Homers strengths were not only standing in front of the net but being very strong on hos skates as well as moving and blocking out defensemen to create an open lane to the net where he was the primary screen and free enough to get a stick on pucks for deflections or rebounds. Thats where abby struggles as hes usually so engaged with the defensemen that it creates an even bigger screen that pucks cant get through and hes so focussed on establishing position that hes unable to track the puck and effectively screen/deflect.

The other thing tied to that that homer did well was track the puck and release to provide a passing option or hunt down loose pucks on wide shots or if the d threw it down the boards. Abby is almost always late.

Mantha uses his size down low very well to establish position and hold the puck. His puck recovery could be better though. This reeks of blashcock
0 x

heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby heyfolks » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:07 pm

southfield sam wrote:It always amazes me that the so called fans on this not only get pissed when the Wings make the playoffs but actually want the team to finish dead last

In the new NHL the best way to finish first is to finish dead last. Cup winners since 08 are Pens, Bruins, Kings, Hawks. Up and coming Oil Cans, Laffs ....

Deep breath, dive to the bottom, and resurface anew. This team should of tanked last season but really needs to tank this season. I mean really tank 45 points or less. I'd trade Green for the cap space and Hank for the under bet. The rest of the over 30 bunch are mostly unmovable garbage. Franz Neilson is the latest book anchor.
1 x
:auto-car: :auto-checkeredflag:

frankster
Tatar-sauce
Tatar-sauce

Postby frankster » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:49 pm

southfield sam wrote:It always amazes me that the so called fans on this not only get pissed when the Wings make the playoffs but actually want the team to finish dead last

Sam is right, we should all worship the ground Kenny walks on.
I have been following Kenny's foursome around the golf course all summer long.
I've been collecting his divots and framing them.
They'll be up for auction on ebay soon.
If you buy 2 or more I'll include an autographed picture of him kicking the tires.
1 x

dcz28
Two Kids and a Goat
Two Kids and a Goat

Postby dcz28 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:14 pm

frankster wrote:

Sam is right, we should all worship the ground Kenny walks on.
I have been following Kenny's foursome around the golf course all summer long.
I've been collecting his divots and framing them.
They'll be up for auction on ebay soon.
If you buy 2 or more I'll include an autographed picture of him kicking the tires.

If you have pictures of Holland liking his team or Blashill showing off his process, you'll be rich :rollin:
0 x
Play hard or get off the ice

Return to “General Discussion”