Thanks for all the feedback so far. I appreciate all of the comments, even the douchey ones, and the suggestions.
I just put in some updates and I am headed to Mexico in the AM so I just want to describe some of the changes and touch on some of the things mentioned in this thread.
First, what's new...
1. The Footer is gone!
2. The home page now pulls from the forums as the default news feed. PHPBB fucking blows, so this integration is less than ideal, but basically I am pulling the 500 most recent posts, then selecting the first 20 new topics from there. We'll see how this goes.
3. The team pages for the minor league teams have been improved a fair amount and things that don't work for them are no longer visible.
4. The scoring stats page (#!/teams/DetroitRedWings/stats/scoring
) now has break downs of percentages and situational per 60 scoring.
A few comments on your comments...
1. This site is very much a work in progress. Originally we weren't going to do anything new until fall, but we hit a shit storm of 3rd parties breaking stuff on the old site to the point where it worked like shit. Google discontinued its feeds API, Instagram changed theirs and Twitter is about to start breaking shit. I kinda threw out a rush job to just eliminate a lot of the broken shit.
2. Yes, NHL stats are everywhere. We are doing stats for a couple of reasons - a) we don't want you to have to leave the site for them and b) we are working towards providing some more meaningful stats in better context. Right now I think there are only 2 kinds of stats sites out there: underwhelming and overwhelming. We hope to become a 3rd type of site that provides both detail, clarity and one stop shopping so to speak. Some of the things we are doing with the scoring stats and goalie stats are examples of that.
3. Note the change I made to how the home page is structured above. You all are now effectively our bloggers.
Please don't be assholes in your new posts, save that for your responses. This is a social experiment at this time. Because new topics will show up on the home page we may moderate a bit more heavily than in the past.
4. PHPBB sucks balls. I can't do the kind of integration with the site and the message board that I'd like to with it. We are investigating other forum options.
5. If you just want to visit the forums you can go to index.php
I had more but I gotta run. Thanks again for all the feedback and please keep it coming...