New Site is Live

(All things hockey - Red Wing and NHL hockey)
aTTicA
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Re: New Site is Live

Postby aTTicA » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:08 am

imo the best thing this forum could do for itself is gain some original content. For example a blogger (or someone here) who can attend the TC tourney, or preseason. Someone with a level of access to press/players would even be better.

In a perfect world you get a set of eyes in GR, the TC tourney/camp, maybe even a "scout" that can put a set of eyes on some of our ncaa or other prospects from time to time and give a report. To me thats the kind of original content that would draw in fans. Granted it wouldnt come cheap.
0 x

holytoledo
Trouble Maker

Postby holytoledo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:13 pm

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I appreciate all of the comments, even the douchey ones, and the suggestions.

I just put in some updates and I am headed to Mexico in the AM so I just want to describe some of the changes and touch on some of the things mentioned in this thread.

First, what's new...

1. The Footer is gone!
2. The home page now pulls from the forums as the default news feed. PHPBB fucking blows, so this integration is less than ideal, but basically I am pulling the 500 most recent posts, then selecting the first 20 new topics from there. We'll see how this goes.
3. The team pages for the minor league teams have been improved a fair amount and things that don't work for them are no longer visible.
4. The scoring stats page (#!/teams/DetroitRedWings/stats/scoring) now has break downs of percentages and situational per 60 scoring.

A few comments on your comments...
1. This site is very much a work in progress. Originally we weren't going to do anything new until fall, but we hit a shit storm of 3rd parties breaking stuff on the old site to the point where it worked like shit. Google discontinued its feeds API, Instagram changed theirs and Twitter is about to start breaking shit. I kinda threw out a rush job to just eliminate a lot of the broken shit.
2. Yes, NHL stats are everywhere. We are doing stats for a couple of reasons - a) we don't want you to have to leave the site for them and b) we are working towards providing some more meaningful stats in better context. Right now I think there are only 2 kinds of stats sites out there: underwhelming and overwhelming. We hope to become a 3rd type of site that provides both detail, clarity and one stop shopping so to speak. Some of the things we are doing with the scoring stats and goalie stats are examples of that.
3. Note the change I made to how the home page is structured above. You all are now effectively our bloggers. Please don't be assholes in your new posts, save that for your responses. This is a social experiment at this time. Because new topics will show up on the home page we may moderate a bit more heavily than in the past.
4. PHPBB sucks balls. I can't do the kind of integration with the site and the message board that I'd like to with it. We are investigating other forum options.
5. If you just want to visit the forums you can go to index.php directly.

I had more but I gotta run. Thanks again for all the feedback and please keep it coming...
0 x

TS Quint
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby TS Quint » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:23 pm

I still see the footer on iPad.
0 x
"Two rules, man: Stay away from my fuckin' percocets and do you have any fucking percocets, man?"

holytoledo
Trouble Maker

Postby holytoledo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:09 pm

TS Quint wrote:I still see the footer on iPad.

You must have it cached locally because it is definitely gone.
1 x

heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby heyfolks » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:27 pm

holytoledo wrote:
TS Quint wrote:I still see the footer on iPad.

You must have it cached locally because it is definitely gone.

It is gone.
1 x
:auto-car: :auto-checkeredflag:

barbrady
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Postby barbrady » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:09 pm

Footer is gone. Much much better.
0 x
~Image~

heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby heyfolks » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:43 am

Snapwidget needs upgrading - Is the message on the old home page before you click over. No on the new site. Will let you know if I see any differences or lack of functionality.
0 x
:auto-car: :auto-checkeredflag:

holytoledo
Trouble Maker

Postby holytoledo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:47 pm

heyfolks wrote:Snapwidget needs upgrading - Is the message on the old home page before you click over. No on the new site. Will let you know if I see any differences or lack of functionality.

All of the links from the forum go to stuff from the old site. If you follow the links from the red bar they go to the new stuff.
0 x

heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby heyfolks » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:42 am

Got it. I like that the home page reflects icon links to forum topics. Once we get bloggers, this front page viewing will lead to more readership and replies. That said, when you click on the detail it appears to take you back to the old site.
0 x

TS Quint
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby TS Quint » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:28 am

On iPad:

Can't quote

Can't edit

Can't pick up where I left off on a thread
0 x
"Two rules, man: Stay away from my fuckin' percocets and do you have any fucking percocets, man?"

Return to “General Discussion”