New Site is Live

(All things hockey - Red Wing and NHL hockey)
holytoledo
Trouble Maker

Re: New Site is Live

Postby holytoledo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:04 pm

Pop Zeus wrote:Why not just turn all forum posts into potential blog posts and use a radial button or something to feature them?
That way, you get your blog post and you still get your message board posts.

Actually, I've been thinking about doing something just like that. We'd probably have some kind of admin option where the admin can select to "feature" a post. It might even be something like if a new topic reaches a threshold of a certain number of likes. I'm leery of doing anything automatic just because of the potential for people to deliberately do things that make us look bad and we'd also want to avoid click bait titles.
0 x

lilja4mvp
Datsyukian Deke
Datsyukian Deke

Postby lilja4mvp » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:09 am

so the forums are the same, except 20% of the screen is wasted on red banners now?

yee-ikes.
1 x

barbrady
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Postby barbrady » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:55 am

Meet the new site.
Same as the old site.
0 x
~Image~

heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby heyfolks » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:14 am

barbrady wrote:Meet the new site.
Same as the old site.

aahhhhhh, OK.
0 x
:auto-car: :auto-checkeredflag:

TS Quint
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby TS Quint » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:46 pm

What's with having a scroll bar for the site AND my browser?
0 x
"Two rules, man: Stay away from my fuckin' percocets and do you have any fucking percocets, man?"

WingFanInAA
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby WingFanInAA » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:36 pm

Have to be honest mobile version is not good. Default news is wider than the screen, making an ackward read. Banner at the bottom is very intrusive. Reading topics tends to be sketchy, occasionally the site blacks out while scrolling. Can't quote often times in threads. Randomly the view is going to the top of a page.

iPhone 5s using Safari.
2 x
Do not mark below this line

_sg
Veteran 4th Liner
Veteran 4th Liner

Postby _sg » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:42 pm

The look and feel of the new site is pretty good. Myself, I'd use white in a few places in place of gray to avoid the virtual-thunderstorm color scheme, but that's just personal preference.

About the content, and just my 2 cents: features like stats, calendar, news-feed, those are great for people who are already here, but anybody else can get their stats, schedules, and news elsewhere.

Again, my 2c, but if you had this forum, and a text-mode, b&w blog that featured high-quality, original content every week, that would be better than any bells and whistles you can add around widely-available statistics, news and schedules. Focus on the original content and the community, the rest is fluff, in my very humble opinion.

Spend some energy figuring out how to convince NEWSGUY1 and others who have the skill to post new, high-quality content ... frequently.

Okay, it is really easy to be negative. I really appreciate the effort to keep our community up and running!
0 x
Try it out! (work in progress)

heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby heyfolks » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:46 am

_sg wrote:The look and feel of the new site is pretty good. Myself, I'd use white in a few places in place of gray to avoid the virtual-thunderstorm color scheme, but that's just personal preference.

About the content, and just my 2 cents: features like stats, calendar, news-feed, those are great for people who are already here, but anybody else can get their stats, schedules, and news elsewhere.

Again, my 2c, but if you had this forum, and a text-mode, b&w blog that featured high-quality, original content every week, that would be better than any bells and whistles you can add around widely-available statistics, news and schedules. Focus on the original content and the community, the rest is fluff, in my very humble opinion.

Spend some energy figuring out how to convince NEWSGUY1 and others who have the skill to post new, high-quality content ... frequently.

Okay, it is really easy to be negative. I really appreciate the effort to keep our community up and running!

We appreciate the feedback. Any leads for bloggers is appreciated.
0 x
:auto-car: :auto-checkeredflag:

Pop Zeus
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby Pop Zeus » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:57 am

I'm willing to post some blogs.
But the work flow seems weird. Post it into a forum and then you copy and paste it?
The other thing is that blogs don't get by on quality (most). They develop readership with frequency.
The only reason anyone ever went to Malik, except the complete asshead homers, was because, as he said, he was a "one-stop shop" for all things Red Wings.
The other thing he offered was the prospect camp stuff - but he couldn't get the fuck out of his own way and ruined his own coverage. But, fans hungry for anything read it anyway.

So I don't have the time to post blogs frequently as you guys need.

So I think you need a stable of bloggers, like Winging It in Motown.

Besides, you want a variety of voices and takes.

Back before blogs became a big thing, and when RWC was a busy board, I could look at page one of the board and be reasonably certain that any big news was posted.

We're not quite there with this forum. But we're reasonable close. So I'd suggest turning forum posts into featured content on the front.

Change the forum content type (drupal speak) a little bit to allow uploading images.

Your forum boss can then pick and choose which forum posts he wants to feature on the front page.

Ditch the automated feeds. Nobody is coming.

Another idea is to autopost new forum topics to twitter and facebook with links back to the forum. (probably the general forum only).

Yes, some objectionable shit will be posted to Twitter. But who cares, it's Twitter.

And engage with beat writers/bloggers/fans/repliers on social media to 1) promote your website 2) grow your social media following... which 3) drives traffic to your website and grows your community.

It's a unique board. People post what they want. There really isn't any moderating.

Going back to the old RWC, there wasn't much moderating either.
0 x

_sg
Veteran 4th Liner
Veteran 4th Liner

Postby _sg » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:03 am

holytoledo wrote:
Pop Zeus wrote:Why not just turn all forum posts into potential blog posts and use a radial button or something to feature them?
That way, you get your blog post and you still get your message board posts.

Actually, I've been thinking about doing something just like that. We'd probably have some kind of admin option where the admin can select to "feature" a post. It might even be something like if a new topic reaches a threshold of a certain number of likes. I'm leery of doing anything automatic just because of the potential for people to deliberately do things that make us look bad and we'd also want to avoid click bait titles.

Yeah the downside of doing things manually is that the board feels more moderated. Which I guess is okay in some respects.

I think as it stands here is what I would do:

I would manually curate the BLOGS forum, such that you only have topics that you're comfortable with. Any users can still reply, having shit comments in reply to blog posts is par for the course.

Write another php page that just enumerates the first post of those topics in a separate page (in full). Isn't that a blog? Very similar to PZ's idea but based on this software instead of Drupal.

Your blog is basically writing up another "view" for thigns already in the backend.

And then, I would focus on boosting the capabilities of the forum, since that would be essentially the whole site. For example, it would help a lot of blog posts if we could embed from EliteProspects or hockey-reference etc
0 x

Return to “General Discussion”