Wings Sign Cholowski

(All things hockey - Red Wing and NHL hockey)
Kronstantinov
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Re: Wings Sign Cholowski

Postby Kronstantinov » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:01 pm

Pop Zeus wrote:I found a USENET post from 2000 that claims Kronwall was ranked 47th by The Hockey News

I was going by memory and that was a long time ago. Do you have a link?
Mule has old copies of the THN Draft previews, he could answer the question definitively.
I know that his stock rose considerably after the 2000 WJC.
0 x

Pop Zeus
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby Pop Zeus » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:33 pm

It's in a thread where an Avs fan is arguing why Kuleshov is a great pick in round 1 and Kronwall is a disaster
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... gl5Ob1kBIJ
0 x
http://www.redwingsnow.com
Your source for regurgitated Red Wings News and crackpot opinions

pokerandpucks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby pokerandpucks » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:37 pm

Proves how much of a crap shoot the draft is

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk
0 x
Take out the trash, fire Holland and Blash!

WingFanInAA
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby WingFanInAA » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:38 pm

Pop Zeus wrote:It's in a thread where an Avs fan is arguing why Kuleshov is a great pick in round 1 and Kronwall is a disaster
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... gl5Ob1kBIJ

Avs fan....lol....nuff said.
0 x
Do not mark below this line

holytoledo
Trouble Maker

Postby holytoledo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:18 pm

Not sure if any of this was posted when we made the pick, but some stuff I dug up on Cholo:

http://thehockeywriters.com/dennis-chol ... t-profile/

Cholowski is a noticeable step down from the top tier of defenders eligible for the draft, be he still offers tantalizing upside as a late bloomer and someone whose ceiling remains somewhat of a mystery. His skating is a promising glimpse into what his ultimate upside could be, as a gifted puck moving defender who is able to take care of business in his own end and play big minutes in all situations.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/05/11/ ... -draft-44/

Dennis Cholowski is a strong two-way defender. Offensively he moves the puck very well, with a strong first pass out of the zone to get the transition game started. At the offensive blue line, he is poised with the puck on his stick, and willing to hold onto it and move laterally in order to create passing and shooting lanes. He has good vision and can make tape-to-tape passes through small openings. Due to high-end hockey sense and IQ, Cholowski often makes the right play with the puck on his stick. Cholowski doesn’t have a cannon from the point, but it has decent power. More importantly he keeps it low and gets it on net through traffic. He also has the stick handling skill to also get involved in leading the rush, or carrying the puck through the neutral zone.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2646 ... rounds-1-3
36. Winnipeg Jets: Dennis Cholowski, D, Chilliwack Chiefs (BCJHL)

Finally, I've unearthed the truth behind why TS hated this deal. It stole a player from his real favorite team! :D

I really wonder where the Wings had him on their draft board. His freshman season sure looks underwhelming from afar. I like what I read of his work ethic and I really like what I read about his hockey IQ. After busting out on 2 other 1st round D that everyone seems to think were more talented in Kindl (bad work ethic?) & Smith (low hockey IQ) maybe this kid with the great work ethic and the high hockey IQ turns out to be pretty damn good. I sure as hell hope so.
0 x

TS Quint
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby TS Quint » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:57 am

The Jets were going to be smart enough to take him in the second round and not above the "top tier" of defenders. The Jets jumped up to get the best Dman available (although some hate their choice), they didn't trade back to take what's left. That is one thing I appreciate about the Jets drafting strategy. It's the exact opposite of Red Wing drafting. The Jets identify the player they want and they get him. Where the Wings drop back and throw darts because as some around here like to say "anything can happen".
0 x
"Two rules, man: Stay away from my fuckin' percocets and do you have any fucking percocets, man?"

Kronstantinov
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Postby Kronstantinov » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:02 am

TS Quint wrote:The Jets were going to be smart enough to take him in the second round and not above the "top tier" of defenders. The Jets jumped up to get the best Dman available (although some hate their choice), they didn't trade back to take what's left. That is one thing I appreciate about the Jets drafting strategy. It's the exact opposite of Red Wing drafting. The Jets identify the player they want and they get him. Where the Wings drop back and throw darts because as some around here like to say "anything can happen".

The Jets' first pick should be alright.
0 x

TS Quint
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby TS Quint » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:52 am

Kronstantinov wrote:
TS Quint wrote:The Jets were going to be smart enough to take him in the second round and not above the "top tier" of defenders. The Jets jumped up to get the best Dman available (although some hate their choice), they didn't trade back to take what's left. That is one thing I appreciate about the Jets drafting strategy. It's the exact opposite of Red Wing drafting. The Jets identify the player they want and they get him. Where the Wings drop back and throw darts because as some around here like to say "anything can happen".

Yeah, he's ok. Seems like and average rookie this year.

What an insane rookie class:

Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Werenski
Murray
Laine

Even the next level of rookies would have consideration most years:

Tkachuk
Aho
Skjei
Rantenen
Mantha
Point
Zaitsev
1 x
"Two rules, man: Stay away from my fuckin' percocets and do you have any fucking percocets, man?"

holytoledo
Trouble Maker

Postby holytoledo » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:27 am

TS Quint wrote:
Kronstantinov wrote:

Jensen
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Werenski
Murray
Laine

Tkachuk
Aho
Skjei
Rantenen
Mantha
Point
Zaitsev

FIFY. Some people tend to overlook him because he's like 35 or something.
0 x

Kronstantinov
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Postby Kronstantinov » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:34 am

TS Quint wrote:
Kronstantinov wrote:

Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Werenski
Murray
Laine

Tkachuk
Aho
Skjei
Rantenen
Mantha
Point
Zaitsev

I think Laine and Marner are the best of them. Matthews has an advantage because Babs likes his heavy players.
0 x

Return to “General Discussion”