Wings Sign Cholowski

(All things hockey - Red Wing and NHL hockey)
holytoledo
Trouble Maker

Re: Wings Sign Cholowski

Postby holytoledo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:04 am

I'm pretty disappointed by what I've seen of Cholowski so far, but the kid is 19 and it was known he was going to be a project when he was drafted. It's way to early to write this pick off. By all accounts he's a rink rat and leaving school will help him to focus further on his game.

According to WIIM if he doesn't play 10 NHL games next year, which I would assume is going to be the case, his ELC will slide because he signed at at 19. I'm guessing that means he's can be on his ELC for 4 years, which gives us plenty of time to be patient with him.

I know a lot of people want to poopoo this pick, but really, we're gonna have to wait and see. I do think Hronek is going to be the better D and as SS pointed out, he's part of the return on this deal.
0 x

holytoledo
Trouble Maker

Postby holytoledo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:05 am

southfield sam wrote:
holytoledo wrote:
southfield sam wrote:
TS Quint wrote:
savz171 wrote:We could have had chychrun...

Or Fabro. You know, the exact types of prospects this team desperately needs. But we got Nielsen for 6 fucking years and a 3rd out of the deal. YAY!

stupid trade from day 1.

Wings got Nielsen. Cholowski and Hronek in the deal

And Vanek.

So the deal is Cholowski, Hronek, Nielson and Florida's 3rd round draft pick

Yeah, pretty much. We don't have the cap space to sign Vanek without making that deal.
0 x

TS Quint
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby TS Quint » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:37 am

southfield sam wrote:
TS Quint wrote:
southfield sam wrote:
TS Quint wrote:

Or Fabro. You know, the exact types of prospects this team desperately needs. But we got Nielsen for 6 fucking years and a 3rd out of the deal. YAY!

stupid trade from day 1.

Either way. The Wings need less bottom 3 Defense and more top pairing. Hronek looks good but I'm doubting he ever makes it as a top pair.its more of the same, trade down and hope to get more NHLers. This team is full of 3/4 liners and 2nd/3rd pair D. This is the way you draft when you have top line players. When you have top line players you can happily draft guys with limited skill sets and use those guys to their strengths. When you are full of bottom half guys you need to find the top end, franchise players to build around.

These types of trades are how you end up with Sproul, XO, Jensen etc. who would be great if you have Lidstrom, Rafalski and Kronwall in his prime.

This trade could be horrible or Cholowski could follow the path of Duncan Keith, came out of the BCHL, played 1 1/2 of college, 2 years in the AHL. It's far too early to judge either way

Or we could just put all the eligible Defensemen into a random draft simulator and maybe anyone one of those elidgeable players has a possibility of being a Norris winner. Or maybe be could add some forwards into that as well after seeing Burns and Byfuglien become top Dmen. Anything could happen right?

That's stupid. You take your best shot at the best player at this point for the state of the current Wings. They had 2 Dmen who at points leading up to the draft were top 10 prospects. Instead we take a guy who had an outside chance at being a 1st rounder.
0 x
"Two rules, man: Stay away from my fuckin' percocets and do you have any fucking percocets, man?"

holytoledo
Trouble Maker

Postby holytoledo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:48 am

TS Quint wrote:Or we could just put all the eligible Defensemen into a random draft simulator and maybe anyone one of those elidgeable players has a possibility of being a Norris winner. Or maybe be could add some forwards into that as well after seeing Burns and Byfuglien become top Dmen. Anything could happen right?

That's stupid. You take your best shot at the best player at this point for the state of the current Wings. They had 2 Dmen who at points leading up to the draft were top 10 prospects. Instead we take a guy who had an outside chance at being a 1st rounder.

Racist.
0 x

TS Quint
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby TS Quint » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:16 am

holytoledo wrote:
TS Quint wrote:Or we could just put all the eligible Defensemen into a random draft simulator and maybe anyone one of those elidgeable players has a possibility of being a Norris winner. Or maybe be could add some forwards into that as well after seeing Burns and Byfuglien become top Dmen. Anything could happen right?

Racist.

Haha, what?
0 x
"Two rules, man: Stay away from my fuckin' percocets and do you have any fucking percocets, man?"

southfield sam
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Postby southfield sam » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:26 am

TS Quint wrote:
southfield sam wrote:
TS Quint wrote:
southfield sam wrote:
TS Quint wrote:

stupid trade from day 1.

Either way. The Wings need less bottom 3 Defense and more top pairing. Hronek looks good but I'm doubting he ever makes it as a top pair.its more of the same, trade down and hope to get more NHLers. This team is full of 3/4 liners and 2nd/3rd pair D. This is the way you draft when you have top line players. When you have top line players you can happily draft guys with limited skill sets and use those guys to their strengths. When you are full of bottom half guys you need to find the top end, franchise players to build around.

These types of trades are how you end up with Sproul, XO, Jensen etc. who would be great if you have Lidstrom, Rafalski and Kronwall in his prime.

This trade could be horrible or Cholowski could follow the path of Duncan Keith, came out of the BCHL, played 1 1/2 of college, 2 years in the AHL. It's far too early to judge either way

Or we could just put all the eligible Defensemen into a random draft simulator and maybe anyone one of those elidgeable players has a possibility of being a Norris winner. Or maybe be could add some forwards into that as well after seeing Burns and Byfuglien become top Dmen. Anything could happen right?

The draft is a crap shoot because you're not drafting the player for how good he is now. You're drafting him for how good you think he will be 5 years from now. When the Wings drafted Kronwall. Other GM's were openly laughing at the Wings. If anyone says they know that Cholowski is a good or bad choice they are full shit. Time will tell
0 x

holytoledo
Trouble Maker

Postby holytoledo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:35 am

TS Quint wrote:
holytoledo wrote:

Racist.

Haha, what?

Obviously you hate Cholos!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cholo

Can't wait for Cholo night at the Doe Joe in about 2021.

I think I'm gonna design a Red Wings Red & White Flannel to sell when he wins his first Norris.
2 x

TS Quint
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby TS Quint » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:58 am

holytoledo wrote:
TS Quint wrote:
holytoledo wrote:

Racist.

Haha, what?

Obviously you hate Cholos!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cholo

Can't wait for Cholo night at the Doe Joe in about 2021.

I think I'm gonna design a Red Wings Red & White Flannel to sell when he wins his first Norris.

:clap:

Very good!
0 x

Pop Zeus
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby Pop Zeus » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:41 am

Cholowski was a stretch. You know you've burned your pick when your GM and Scouts don't even sound excited about him on draft day.
"Well, he can skate and the best thing is, we've got 6 years to develop him and by then everyone will forget we wasted our pick."
0 x
http://www.redwingsnow.com
Your source for regurgitated Red Wings News and crackpot opinions

CoconutBackwards
Datsyukian Deke
Datsyukian Deke

Postby CoconutBackwards » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:01 pm

1 x
Postby Octopus » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:26 pm
It's all playoff-hokej. Get used to it. We have another round a-comin'.

Postby barbrady » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:29 pm
Octo wants to jinx us into blowing another 3-1 series lead.

Return to “General Discussion”