Wings Sign Cholowski

(All things hockey - Red Wing and NHL hockey)
TS Quint
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Re: Wings Sign Cholowski

Postby TS Quint » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:55 am

Kronstantinov wrote:
TS Quint wrote:
Kronstantinov wrote:
TS Quint wrote:The Jets were going to be smart enough to take him in the second round and not above the "top tier" of defenders. The Jets jumped up to get the best Dman available (although some hate their choice), they didn't trade back to take what's left. That is one thing I appreciate about the Jets drafting strategy. It's the exact opposite of Red Wing drafting. The Jets identify the player they want and they get him. Where the Wings drop back and throw darts because as some around here like to say "anything can happen".

The Jets' first pick should be alright.

Yeah, he's ok. Seems like and average rookie this year.

What an insane rookie class:

Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Werenski
Murray
Laine

Even the next level of rookies would have consideration most years:

Tkachuk
Aho
Skjei
Rantenen
Mantha
Point
Zaitsev

I think Laine and Marner are the best of them. Matthews has an advantage because Babs likes his heavy players.

It's interesting listening to the Toronto media and their reasoning for Matthews winning. Seems like a lot of grasping at straws.
0 x
"Two rules, man: Stay away from my fuckin' percocets and do you have any fucking percocets, man?"

Kronstantinov
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Postby Kronstantinov » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:12 pm

Cholo is on a PTO with the Griffs.
He was selected in the 10th round of the 2013 WHL draft by Prince George. I am guessing he will probably wind up there next year.
It seems there is no news as to why he chose to leave college.

Also no news to as the why de Haas hasn't been signed yet. It would be best for his development to be skating with the Griffs especially considering the short NCAA seasons.
He is a great skater, he is big, Clarkson's captain, productive (even in his freshman year he scored more points than Cholo) and was recognized as the division's best defensive defenseman. Sounds like a bigger Dekeyser with a better shot to me. All of the Wings' top prospects on D are small (Hronek, Hicketts, Saarijärvi and Russo)
Unless he has reservations about Detroit, wants to test out the market or is injured, I don't understand what the hold up is. As I said before if I was genius gm and he expressed any such concerns, I would have offered him a spot on the Wings (even if he totally sucked, it would have helped with the tank) to not lose him.
Last edited by Kronstantinov on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

reginawing
Veteran 4th Liner
Veteran 4th Liner

Postby reginawing » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:25 pm

wasting a spot on the roster for yet another little guy. Thanks Holland. Did you make it guaranteed for 4 years too.
0 x

southfield sam
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Postby southfield sam » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:26 pm

WingFanInAA wrote:analysis like this makes me worry...

But once he gets a little stronger, and develops the confidence to be aggressive in attacking up the ice with his tremendous skating ability, he has the raw potential to be a game-changing defenseman at the college level and a very solid second pairing defenseman at the NHL level.

So you're worried about a 18 year old who needs to get stronger to play in the NHL?
1 x

Wizard of Corsica
All Star Vote Getter
All Star Vote Getter

Postby Wizard of Corsica » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:22 pm

Cholowski bolts for the WHL:

0 x
This shit lit bruh

heyfolks
Mr. Hockey
Mr. Hockey

Postby heyfolks » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:32 pm

Kronstantinov wrote:Cholo is on a PTO with the Griffs.
He was selected in the 10th round of the 2013 WHL draft by Prince George. I am guessing he will probably wind up there next year.
It seems there is no news as to why he chose to leave college.

Also no news to as the why de Haas hasn't been signed yet. It would be best for his development to be skating with the Griffs especially considering the short NCAA seasons.
He is a great skater, he is big, Clarkson's captain, productive (even in his freshman year he scored more points than Cholo) and was recognized as the division's best defensive defenseman. Sounds like a bigger Dekeyser with a better shot to me. All of the Wings' top prospects on D are small (Hronek, Hicketts, Saarijärvi and Russo)
Unless he has reservations about Detroit, wants to test out the market or is injured, I don't understand what the hold up is. As I said before if I was genius gm and he expressed any such concerns, I would have offered him a spot on the Wings (even if he totally sucked, it would have helped with the tank) to not lose him.

Nailed it.
1 x
:auto-car: :auto-checkeredflag:

Kronstantinov
Stanley Cup Champion
Stanley Cup Champion

Postby Kronstantinov » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:33 pm

reginawing wrote:wasting a spot on the roster for yet another little guy. Thanks Holland. Did you make it guaranteed for 4 years too.

He is 6'1" 196lbs now but an underwhelming freshman year isn't very promising.
0 x

Zattaman
Tatar-sauce
Tatar-sauce

Postby Zattaman » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:26 pm

So, did he waste a year by going the NCAA route? Seems kind of ass-backwards of a move.
0 x

PabloSug
Glen Hanlon
Glen Hanlon

Postby PabloSug » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:26 am

reginawing wrote:wasting a spot on the roster for yet another little guy. Thanks Holland. Did you make it guaranteed for 4 years too.

They didn't think it through properly did they.
0 x

Return to “General Discussion”